Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
sammymax
Dogsey Junior
Female 

21-10-2006, 07:41 PM

Clingy or dominant

Lula is now 6 months old and has a big, big (wonderful) staffie personality. When we chose her there were only 2 pups left from the litter. Her sister was definitely the alpha dog and obviously led Lula into a lot of trouble. Both pups were very into biting, jumping up and trying to climb all over their breeders. I was surprised and a little disappointed that the breeders hadn't put a stop to it (they were 13 weeks old).

Now I love Lula to bits and she's coming on really well and sees me as number one etc. But she is still very inquisitive, she's always got her nose into whatever I'm doing. If I have the notebook on my lap she'll be "asleep" next to me with her head flopping onto the keyboard (that sort of thing). She's clingy lot of the time, following me around from room to room. Although she'll run from the top to the bottom of the house in a flash, when I tell her to, she'll wait for me to go through doors or up and down the stairs first.

She's showing no signs of separation anxiety and happily rests in her crate when we're both out - which isn't often as we both work from home.

When I'm sitting or standing she's there, leaning up against me or lying slightly over me (and my partner - number two). When she does a 'come here' she usually finishes sitting nicely but with a front paw on my foot. If I'm sitting on the ground with her she knows not to jump all over me but will try putting a paw or two on me or nudging me.

She doesn't get on on furniture uninvited and I'm still lifting her onto the sofa and bed even though she's fully able to jump up herself (I'm hoping this will further delay the urge to jump on furniture).

Is she just been a cute, clingy puppy (haven't had a puppy in years and years) or is she still being a bit dominant and I need to gently curb it?
Steve
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

21-10-2006, 07:48 PM
Puppys and adult dogs alike enjoy being with their owners so her trying to get on you is normal behaviour.It may look like she's clingy,but you are her life afterall!

Enjoy your time with her being a puppy cause they grow up everso quickly!
Trixybird
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-10-2006, 07:49 PM
IMO enjoy it, it's a lovely time, bit like babies IMO. I am sure as she gets older she will be less dependent.
When I got Harvey he was exactly the same and I would nearly trip over him as he was always under my feet. Gradually I increased the separation time,and without a problem. Then Archie came and I was pushed out for a while, both now 10 months and are fine.
Zetacharlie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-10-2006, 07:51 PM
Enjoy it !! My pup is 3 and shes much more independent...I miss being followed everywhere and always a head on my lap
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

21-10-2006, 09:51 PM
Hi Sammy Lula sounds delightful, I would say not clingy or dominant just normal ...you say ...
She's showing no signs of separation anxiety and happily rests in her crate when we're both out - which isn't often as we both work from home.
..I think it is good to train dogs to spend some time away from you, one never knows when circumstances will change and it could be necessary. The best time to do this is when a puppy has had a meal and a walk and will readily go to sleep. Other than that it is normal for a puppy to want to be with you as you are the substitute for the dam and litter mates
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-10-2006, 10:01 PM
She sounds adorable - I'd not think she's "dominant" (in fact I don't use that word any more).

I agree with the others, relax and enjoy
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-10-2006, 10:49 PM
hi sammy

she does sound lovely and typical staffie to nbe honest = Bruno is 5 and will follow me from room to room quite often- he doesnt suffer with seperation anxiety etcc -just likes to be nosy and be with me - so wouldnt worry about it at all !!
Malady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-10-2006, 11:54 PM
She does sound a lovely little dog.

However, the leaning and always having to have some sort of physical contact could be slight dominant postures as she is maturing and gaining more confidence in herself.

I never had a problem with mine placing their heads on my lap as long as when they did it I would say "Okay". The leaning is a typical dominant stance.

I have large dogs so cannot afford to ignore these things as cute, and would gently remove the paw off my foot and place it on the floor, or step back gently when they leaned. I would rather curb the potential problem before it becomes a problem, if you know what I mean. You by no means have to be nasty about it, just be gentle and let her know that she can't do it unless you ask/invite her to do it.

Good luck with her, she does sound lovely
sammymax
Dogsey Junior
Female 

22-10-2006, 12:17 AM
Thanks for the replies everyone It's lovely to be assured that there's not too much to be worried about. I suppose I've just been lacking the confidence to work out what's just cuteness (which I LOVE) and what's a little bit dominant.

Originally Posted by Malady View Post
I have large dogs so cannot afford to ignore these things as cute, and would gently remove the paw off my foot and place it on the floor, or step back gently when they leaned. I would rather curb the potential problem before it becomes a problem, if you know what I mean. You by no means have to be nasty about it, just be gentle and let her know that she can't do it unless you ask/invite her to do it.
She won't end up being a "large" dog but she's already getting that Staffie brick-on-stick-legs build so I know what you mean I'm doing just that, moving back a little or moving my foot so that her paw plops back onto the floor.

Funnily enough, tonight, every time we ate on the sofa (it was a junk food night), she jumped down and waited for us to finish before giving me the cute please-can-I-come-up-there eyes again.
Malady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-10-2006, 12:34 AM
Aaaawww bless her. Well it sounds like your doing all the right things, so I wouldn't worry too much, as long as you know when she's trying to pull a swifty........lol
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >