Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Trixybird
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-10-2007, 07:05 PM

Advantage Flea Prevention (Reaction?)

Frontline was not available at the vet today ( told me the chemist sell it now )

Was going to order on line but after reading on here about frontline and how disappointing the results have been, I decided to purchase Bayer Advantage.

Came home and applied on the back of their necks, and I have just noticed Harvey has a very irritated eye, red and the eye is closing. I immediately bathed it and will have another look in a while as he is now comfortable on my feet as I write this

So can I please ask you all if you have experienced any reactions.

My mind is now off on one as today up the river I have seen loads of rabbits with Myxomatosis..... I know I know but just a worried Mum !
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-10-2007, 07:09 PM
HI Tracy, I wouldn't have thought for one minute it's the Advantage that's caused this. I specifically read all the instructions when I last did Georgie and it said any type of reaction was very rare, but of course I suppose it can't be ruled out! More than likely, it's something he picked up whilst out, maybe he brushed against something in the long grass or something, he's very low to the ground isn't he, unlike mine!!

Cold tea (no milk!!) is very, very good for something like this, it's the tanning in it which will do it good. Try that perhaps? Awww, I hope it's all better later when you take another look, poor little man, you don't want him scratching it either!
Trixybird
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-10-2007, 07:14 PM
Paranoid about his eyes "H"....... will give that ago if no improvement. The other thing is he always lays on Archie's head ( so near to where I have just put the advantage ) Like you say it is probably something from the walk this afternoon Thanks for your quick reply xx
DanishPastry
Dogsey Senior
Female 

18-10-2007, 07:28 PM
a little heads up for other people who decide to use Advantage.
It is extremely poisonous to cats. If your cat happen get into contact with the product they may die.

Just thought I would mention it. I have used it on my dogs once, (before I had the cats) and they had no adverse reactions.
Trixybird
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-10-2007, 07:32 PM
Originally Posted by DanishPastry View Post
a little heads up for other people who decide to use Advantage.
It is extremely poisonous to cats. If your cat happen get into contact with the product they may die.

Just thought I would mention it. I have used it on my dogs once, (before I had the cats) and they had no adverse reactions.
Now the vet didn't say that fortunately no cats here! but thank you for posting and letting others know!
Trixybird
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-10-2007, 08:32 PM
Just took a look and it's very red and swollen on the lower lid
JacekPacek
Dogsey Senior
Female 

18-10-2007, 08:52 PM
from all five dogs we have ever own, only newfie didnt had bad reaction. a pug and all three parsons got rashes and brown fur, itchy and scratchy and Jack had the worst reaction when his face swelled up
ill stay away from advantix for the rest of my life.
maybe all our dogs were/are pussies, but i really believe it is too strong
Trixybird
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-10-2007, 09:07 PM
I appreciate your comments JacekPacek, and maybe your right it is too strong!
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

18-10-2007, 09:27 PM
I thought advantage and advantix were two different products

Information about Advantage®

Advantage® flea control works fast to kill fleas on dogs and cats. Advantage® kills 98% of fleas within 12 hours and continues to work for up to one month per application. Because it works so fast, Advantage® provides relief from fleas within minutes. Advantage® also breaks the flea's life-cycle by killing flea larvae in your pets' surroundings.

Advantage® can be used on puppies seven weeks and older, and kittens eight weeks and older. It is safe for use on pregnant and lactating animals. Advantage® is water-resistant, so it kills fleas even after shampooing, swimming or exposure to rain

vantix® combines imidacloprid and permethrin to repel and kill fleas, ticks, and mosquitoes that may cross your dog's path. Each ingredient begins to affect pests on contact, attacking parasite nerve cells at different sites. When combined, the two compounds overwhelm the parasite's nervous system.1 This leads to rapid paralysis and death of the parasite.

ADVANTIX

Stops fleas from biting.

K9 Advantix offers proven protection against fleas in multiple stages of development. Imidacloprid, an active ingredient in K9 Advantix, stops biting fleas within three to five minutes and kills them before they lay eggs.2 K9 Advantix also kills flea larvae preventing them from developing into adult fleas, breaking the flea lifecycle in multiple stages.
Prevent ticks from attaching.

K9 Advantix offers proven protection against ticks. It repels and kills ticks before they can attach. With K9 Advantix, ticks are repelled and killed before they can bite, reducing the potential risk of a tick-transmitted disease.
Repels mosquitoes from biting.

K9 Advantix repels and kills mosquitoes before they can bite. Research demonstrates that K9 Advantix kills up to 98.3 percent of mosquitoes and reduces their feeding up to 95.2 percent.3 Mosquitoes that do not bite cannot transmit disease causing organisms, keeping your pet protected.
DO NOT USE ON CATS. Due to their unique physiology and inability to metabolize certain compounds, K9 Advantix must not be used on cats.
Trixybird
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-10-2007, 09:31 PM
Not the same then!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >