Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Colin
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

20-05-2007, 10:17 AM

Where my Dobes came from.

All 3 of my Dobermanns came from rescue centers.

Ruby cam from Dobermanns in need.
http://www.dobeinneed.co.uk

Onyx came from Dobermann Rescue Ltd
http://www.dobermann-rescue.co.uk/index.htm

and poor old Max was going to be put down as he was in a cross breed kennel and no one wanted him, so we took him in.

Stupid thing is that I'm actuallly on the look out for another bitch as we have loads of room at home and I'm just waiting for the right bitch to come along that will get on with my existing Dobes and the 3 cats.

Colin
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-05-2007, 10:24 AM
Your lucky your two males are ok with eachother, most male Dobes would kill eachother as quick as look at eachother. Three crackers you have!
Dawn.
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-05-2007, 10:26 AM
I was just about to add the same thing, you have some fab looking dogs but am amazed you've got two male dobes together lol! Well Done!
Becky
Colin
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

20-05-2007, 11:19 AM
Well to be honest I had never really had a problem with them as I have always maintained a tight control on them.

The main reason why two males fight is in my opinion for one of two reasons.

Firstly they are not neutered, but both of my males are completing done. (Sack fully empted, not just the snip).

Secondly they are trying to exert their dominance over each other, in which case the owner must stop this straight away.

Yes your right in saying that I’m lucky as a whole in that my boys have settled down, but I must admit that a lot of that is due to the training and also the fact that Ruby is the boss out of the three of them.

No matter what I do that involves the three Dobes together whether it is feeding, playing or bathing time, Ruby is always first, then comes Onyx and lastly is Max.

So for example, I will put the three bowls down for breakfast and all three will be sitting by the kitchen door waiting for their command to eat. So I just say, “Ruby eat”, “Onyx eat” and then “Max eat” and they just walk up and have their breakfast. That said I do still have to stand there a watch them to make sure that Onyx doesn’t finish his first and then try to eat out of one of the other bowls as well. That boy is such a pig.

Basically in my house there is only one boss and that’s me, and in the beginning when the two boys did have the odd ruck, they were told NO and I would just put the one who started it in the garden on their own come wind, rain, snow or shine for about an hour while the other two got to play or do whatever. Believe me it didn’t take long for the message to get in. Live happily together stay together.

Colin
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-05-2007, 11:39 AM
I wouldnt bank on there never being a problem in the future, and the more you have the more likely it will become, my friend has 5 Dobes and her two some time ago had a fight and over £800 and 200 stitches later in the 2 dogs they still would crack off given the chance. My own 2male Dobes were fine with eachother outside, but if they ever could of met in the house they would of torn eachother to shreds, to be honest I am very very surprised that Dobe rescue let you have 2 males, its something among Dobe folk that is never done, although their temperaments with other dogs are better than they were say 10yrs ago, its incredibly risky in my opinion.

Saying that, im pleased it works for you, there are always exceptions to the rule, Im glad you are one of them.
Dawn.
Colin
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

20-05-2007, 12:46 PM
Dawn I didn’t have Max at the time I got Onyx from Dobe Rescue.

The other factor that I believe makes this relationship work between them is that these 3 are always with me. Regardless of whether I'm working in my office, on site or just sitting in the living room watching TV.

You see I have a long wheelbase Transit that has 3 large Rosewood dog cages fitted just behind the front seats and my tools take up the remainder of the van, so they are never really left up to their own devices.

As I said in my last thread, on the occasions that they did have the odd ruck when I first got Max I would just pile in and separate them and then put the instigator of the trouble in the garden for an hour of so if it happened at home, or if it happened while we were out walking then that dog would just go back on the lead while the other two could do what they wished.

In my opinion it all boils down to how much control you have over them and there natural instincts.

As you know with most dogs that the saying of “Give them an inch and they will take a mile” is never truer.

Colin
AnneUK
Almost a Veteran
Female 

20-05-2007, 06:18 PM
Well done for adopting your dobies they're stunning :smt049 :smt049

I too have known male (neutered) dobies living together happily.
booboo
Dogsey Junior
Female 

12-06-2007, 08:57 AM
HI Colin.....lovely to read your thread..I have two dobies.max who is 4 and Boo (bitch) who is 19 months.she really is the boss of the two and occassionally they have the odd ruck but like you rightly said if you let them know whos the boss it can be sorted quite nicely....I would love to rescue a dobe but worry because Boo is dominent and I wonder if twos company threes a crowd...!!!!!
Colin
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

12-06-2007, 09:43 AM
Originally Posted by booboo View Post
HI Colin.....lovely to read your thread..I have two dobies.max who is 4 and Boo (bitch) who is 19 months.she really is the boss of the two and occassionally they have the odd ruck but like you rightly said if you let them know whos the boss it can be sorted quite nicely....I would love to rescue a dobe but worry because Boo is dominent and I wonder if twos company threes a crowd...!!!!!
It really depends what Boo is like around other dogs if they come to your house for more than a five minutes visit.

You see some dogs like a GSd who lives down the road form me will tolerate a bitch being in his home for about ten minutes, but then he looses the plot and all hell breaks outs.

In my opinion dominance by one dog or bitch is not the guiding factor, but her overall personality is.

Now ‘if’ shall we say she always having a go at any other dog that goes near Max then I would suggest that you just stick with the two of them because she has become so protective of him over time that you could try to spend the next six months to stop it and unless you separate Boo and Max you just won’t stop her.

If on the other hand she is as good as gold when other dogs come into your home and doesn’t mind them playing with Max then I would say try to foster one with the option of adopting it if all three get along together.

Two things that you must take into consideration is that they can not be left alone together for one minute for the first couple of weeks, because you will see them all trying to sort out their differences and also who is going to become the dominant one.

You might find that if you do get another Dobe Max might become the dominant male so as to look after Boo. But 9 times out of 10 it is always the bitch that rules the pack.

As I said in post 6, on the occasions that they did have the odd ruck when I first got Max I would just pile in and separate them and then put the instigator of the trouble in the garden for an hour of so if it happened at home, or if it happened while we were out walking then that dog would just go back on the lead while the other two could do what they wished. It will all boil down to how much control you have over them and there natural instincts.

Good luck in what ever you decide to do.

Colin
booboo
Dogsey Junior
Female 

12-06-2007, 10:22 AM
Thank you colin for your advice........its certainly something to think about
Best Regards
Jayne
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >