View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
ssmith80
Dogsey Junior
Female 

12-09-2008, 07:36 AM
Just wanted to add as an afterthought - most people think that putting their dog in the bath on a weekly or fortnightly basis keeps their coats healthy and their skin clean. Well bathing them actually just gets rid of all the natural glossy oil they have in their coat, and it dries out their skin. More often than not it causes irritation and dry scaly patches. It differs from dog to dog, but I only EVER bathe mine if they've been out and got really muddy. Otherwise theres honestly no need.

(This was advice I received from my friend who is a dog groomer and works at a rescue centre)
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-09-2008, 08:42 AM
You're right of course, dogs shouldn't be bathed unnecessarily, normal dogs, but ones with a skin complaint do I'm afraid. If I didn't bath my dog at least once a week he'd be in a terrible state. Having said that, this poor dog of Jalalli's was originally bathed in Dettol and I think that's what has caused this specific reaction. If it's not fleas,ticks,bacteria etc. then when he does bath him, he needs to use something soothing. I agree with you also, that to bath at this stage could do more harm than good! When I bath my own itchy dog, he doesn't have scabs at the time, and you need to leave those on until they're ready to come off, maybe with a little bit of help sometimes. Funny thing is though, when we had bad sores on our horse's legs (mud fever it was called) they would scab over, and the vets always told us to use the Hibiscrub on the legs picking off as many scabs as possible! Contradictory isn't it! You must do whatever your vet has told you to do Jalalli, but never, ever bath him in Detol again! Poor boy, I hope he's doing well, I keep popping in here to see his progress. All the very best to you, we're always here for you.
jalalali
New Member!
Male 

12-09-2008, 10:17 AM
Thanks Helena, and smith!

Well I wanted to disinfect him with ecofleece, or hibiscrub as you mentioned once in your previous posts.
They itch alot and foremost they are scabs + drypus + God knows what came out of his skin and it Stink like hell :P
Nevez, I guess I'll let the bathing go for a few more days, meanwhile should i use a brush to brush off the scabs ? Also he's lost a ton of hair, and still losing them. Should I assist him with the scratching, he seems to like it(the dry ones that is) :P
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-09-2008, 10:34 AM
From what you describe, I just wish you could bath him in the Hibiscrub, but if your vet says NO, then of course you must not - yet! Let the anti biotics do their job, they'll kill all the bacteria, get rid of all the puss, and he should be left with just nice clean scabs. Use a nice soft brush, so that you don't disturb the scabs if the vet has told you to leave them alone? I think he has? He will appreciate getting all the dead hair and skin off his sensitive sore skin. What I do sometimes, I use one of those tea tree moist wipes and gently rub on any bare skin on my own dog, and you will be surprised what you get on the wipe! That might relieve him a bit too. Maybe use a nice clean soft damp flannel if you can't get the tea tree oil wipes. Another thing you can get if you haven't already is a big tub of Sudocrem (it's cheap too!), you can apply that to any sore areas, he'll also benefit from that. Oh you've certainly got a big job on your hands with your poor doggy Jalalli, but don't worry, it should all come good in the end with all this hard work! Take care.
jalalali
New Member!
Male 

12-09-2008, 10:51 AM
Errrm...we don't have sudocrem here, I bought another soothing cream. But he licks it all off.
My Vet hasn't really 'advised' anything regarding the bath issue and all, he has sort of left it to me. Nevez I'm feeding off your experiences, anything to get him through this difficult time and avoiding it from ever happening again.
I'm not forcing the issue, I rub him lightly, its more empathy than scab scraping :P Lets make weekend our next milestone, we'll assess then, there.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-09-2008, 10:52 AM
You can't do more, you're doing a great job, and you will see a result, just got to wait I'm afraid. All the very best with him.
Sarah27
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-09-2008, 11:01 AM
Just wanted to send my good wishes for you and your dog.

Sarah.
Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4