View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
MerlinsMum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-11-2011, 10:58 PM
Blimey, has this veered off topic? I'm lost now.
If this has become another debate then surely do the right thing and move to a new topic.
Pippam's age is not related to the original subject, unless I missed something and it's her dog involved in this.

*puzzled*

If it's now about fences then I have plenty to add!
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-11-2011, 11:02 PM
Add away MM
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-11-2011, 11:09 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
It is also a lot less rude!
What a load of twaddle, and you are definitely going way off topic!
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-11-2011, 11:14 PM
Originally Posted by Bitkin View Post
What a load of twaddle, and you are definitely going way off topic!
Well you are continuing to keep it off with your pointless posts.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-11-2011, 12:10 AM
Amazing how "natural" it is isnt it. Is it the same if a small dog came in and got killed? What about a Fox? Rabbit?

We have talked about discipline in dogs before. Is it that hard to stop a dog chasing a Cat? I mean I have 4 Borders who work, I can stop them killing a cat in the garden. We have had several and they can NOT get out due to the fence overhang, they all survived though!
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-11-2011, 12:19 AM
Originally Posted by MarchHound View Post
The sad thing is, a close friend of mine now faces rehoming her beloved terrier because someone has moved in next door with a kitten. The terrier is so excited, he leaps at the fence and yesterday managed to chew his way through.

He has to be taken out for a wee on a lead.

She had tried using a water spray, positive reinforcement and noise. But he is intense.

Then she needs to put some effort in and teach the dog some manners. Its not because he is a Terrier, its because he is allowed to display that behaviour.

Not too difficult is it? A Terrier displaying what so many say is "natural" and behaving in a reasonable manner when not working.

Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-11-2011, 12:45 AM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
Then she needs to put some effort in and teach the dog some manners. Its not because he is a Terrier, its because he is allowed to display that behaviour.

Not too difficult is it? A Terrier displaying what so many say is "natural" and behaving in a reasonable manner when not working.

I've said this before on this forum and say it again, if BD can achieve this with her dogs, there is no reason why others can't.

There is no reason why this person has to give her dog away - is the kitten kept outside 24 x 7?
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-11-2011, 12:49 AM
Originally Posted by MarchHound View Post
I dont want her to rehome him. He is a darling and I dont want him losing his home because a neighbour got a kitten. Its wrong.

I will mention the fence.
It's also wrong to think it's natural for the dog to break its way through a fence into the kittens garden to hurt & possibly kill it
NeedAdvice
Dogsey Junior
Female 

11-11-2011, 06:15 AM
For some dogs it seems very natural to chase then maim or kill cats. As the owner of 5 cats I have no time for any owner irresponsible enough or not vigilant enough to take precautions if they know their pet dog cannot be trusted around other animals or children etc That is why pet shops sell leads and muzzles to keep your dog under control.
It is always very sad however when a pet suffers because it reacted to a situation as it was born /bred to do and its owner did not prevent the situation. Accidents do happen when you least expect it and had a dog hurt my cat I would be opposed to having the animal put down .But would want a fine /vet bills to be met and the owner to sign an agreement agreeing to the dog being muzzled in future to prevent any further pets or children being injured.
I firmly believe a dog however who attacks a child or human without provication should be put to sleep.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-11-2011, 07:02 AM
Borderdawn very impressive pictures but they are of a dog with a bunny and a cat that belong to them so to speak.

I know of many dogs who are quite safe in the house with small household pets but outside if they came across a cat would kill it.

So whilst the photos demonstrate self control within the house that is not always transferred to the external arena.

That is not to excuse it but to be realistic.

If I was upstairs in the shower and a cat came into my garden I do not possess the superhuman powers to enable me to stop them. They would see that cat as fair game, I have one breed after all that was specifically DESIGNED to rid the owner of vermin which, before anyone gets on their high horse, is not MY word but what was in the original standard for the dog and included not only foxes but cats.

So whilst I am with them I can prevent them doing any harm to a cat, if I was in a field and the dogs came across a cat in the middle of it whilst my back was turned, not a chance in hell.

As for terriers being tenacious, so are lots of other breeds, I have two tenacious individuals that live with me, that is why they have been so succesful, but as I said before, good fences make for good neighbours.

If a cat came into my garden and it was killed by my dogs, that would be unfortunate for the cat and its owner but I would not be paying any compensation for this, any more than the cat owner would come round to my house and clean up after it had soiled in it.
Page 10 of 30 « First < 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 20 > Last »