Our sister sites
Our sister sites
kingbenny
Dogsey Senior
Male 

23-06-2008, 01:14 PM

Not suitable to adopt a rescue :(

Hi Guys,

So, as some of you know, Jake passed away on Friday. He had a long list of health problems and i'm sure i did a great job looking after him, i'm not afraid to admit that i loved him more than any person i have met! I always knew i would want another rescue straight away, and i'd always adopt a rescue over any other dog, particulary as there are so many staffies in rescue homes.

However, all of the rescue homes i have spoken to this weekend say they would not rehome to me as i do not have a garden. I live opposite a massive, fully enclosed park, and chose the house so Jake could visit it several times a day. I feel teribble after caring for Jake to now be told i'm not a suitable Dog owner. What are your views on this? I can see where the rescue shelters are coming from but i feel it is harsh to judge me without first learning exaclty what my attitude is to owning a dog. I do havea visit from the dog warden this week, but have been told my chances of being found suitable for owning a dog are nearly zero

Mike
flowisp
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-06-2008, 01:16 PM
Thats really sad... Because there are many dog owners who don't have gardens, but are able to exercise there dogs regularly nevertheless. Can you try a different rescue centre?? xxx
nickyboy
Dogsey Senior
Male 

23-06-2008, 01:20 PM
Originally Posted by kingbenny View Post
Hi Guys,

So, as some of you know, Jake passed away on Friday. He had a long list of health problems and i'm sure i did a great job looking after him, i'm not afraid to admit that i loved him more than any person i have met! I always knew i would want another rescue straight away, and i'd always adopt a rescue over any other dog, particulary as there are so many staffies in rescue homes.

However, all of the rescue homes i have spoken to this weekend say they would not rehome to me as i do not have a garden. I live opposite a massive, fully enclosed park, and chose the house so Jake could visit it several times a day. I feel teribble after caring for Jake to now be told i'm not a suitable Dog owner. What are your views on this? I can see where the rescue shelters are coming from but i feel it is harsh to judge me without first learning exaclty what my attitude is to owning a dog. I do havea visit from the dog warden this week, but have been told my chances of being found suitable for owning a dog are nearly zero

Mike

sorry for your loss Mike - i will keep my fingers crossed for you
lovezois
Fondly remembered
Female 

23-06-2008, 01:21 PM
So sorry about Jake first off and also sorry that this recue is taking this attitude.

It is sad when there are so many dogs especially staffies looking for homes.

Hope you will be successful with another rescue. Do keep us posted and good luck
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-06-2008, 01:28 PM
That sounds a little harsh. If you have the locality to walk the dog that should be taken into account. Goo dluck with the visit this week.

Sorry to hear about Jake.
kingbenny
Dogsey Senior
Male 

23-06-2008, 01:32 PM
The sad thing is i have my heart set on a dog at one of the rescue homes that needs alots of special medical care, i know i can give her this but i'm afraid she may end up sitting in the rescue for months as a majority of people will not want to take on a dog knowing there will be ongoing high vets bills. I'm hoping i can appeal to the dog wardens heart but i'm not holding my breath to be honest!
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-06-2008, 01:33 PM
So sorry Mike.....pity they don't '''home check'''first so that they can get a clearer picture of you and your life style Good luck in your search, I am sure someone will realise your ability
alexandra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-06-2008, 01:33 PM
aww hun can you not get a reference from your vet?
kingbenny
Dogsey Senior
Male 

23-06-2008, 01:38 PM
If they do decide i'm not suitable i know i'll still get a suitable staffy. Looking at some of the adverts i've seen from "breeders" on free ad sites i'm sure i'd being doing some of these animals a favour by taking on of them to a loving home. The trouble there is i don't want to encourage most of these people to be breeding dogs in the first place. On the plus side, it would stop the dog in question becoming a status symbol for 2 years before ending up at a rescue anyway. I'm sure that was the case with my Jake.
sallyinlancs
Dogsey Senior
Female 

23-06-2008, 01:41 PM
No wonder rescue centres are so full! I don't think a garden is a necessity to being a good dog owner as long as the dog has access to plenty of exercise. If you had a small garden full of pots/plants/furniture that the dog could hardly move in, would that be ok then? It all sounds a bit jobsworthy to me.

I am sure the right dog will find its way to you somehow!
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 > Last »