View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Shirleyc
Dogsey Senior
Female 

07-12-2006, 10:31 AM
Good Luck finding your rescue! I have never had any experience of this so cant really comment but think that its a good thing you are doing.
MistyBlue
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-12-2006, 11:09 AM
Originally Posted by JoedeeUK View Post
But you still put non standard colours that are in fact normal acceptable colours for a GSD hence appearing not to have much knowledge of GSDs

sorry, i dont understand?
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-12-2006, 12:13 PM
Originally Posted by knottybabe View Post

sorry, i dont understand?
I am not JoedeeUK but what I think she is trying to say is that you stated that you would like "non-standard" colours - however black is actually a standard colour in GSDs and, as Joedee loves to point out sable isn't a colour, but a coat pattern (as in grey sable, gold sables). Therefore it would seem you haven't really read up on this breed before going to breed rescue.

However, I don't personally think that just because you aren't aware of the standard and non-standard colours, that automatic makes you unworthy of giving a GSD a great home.

Just for your own knowledge, buy a few GSD specific books, or get some from the library.

A couple of my favs are :-

Understanding the German Shepherd Dog and Training the German Shepherd Dog, both by John Cree.
Shirleyc
Dogsey Senior
Female 

07-12-2006, 12:14 PM
I think some of the posts on this thread have been worded so they sound a bit harsh really. Knottybabe has obviously thought a lot about getting a dog and has decided to rehome a rescue and Im sure she knows that rescue dogs can come with problems. As I mentioned before I think it is a good thing that you are doing and really important that you choose the right dog for you and if you dont feel that you are experienced enough to deal with a rescue with problems I think it is right for you to outline this in the first place.

You'll know when you find the right dog or they find you!!
majuka
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-12-2006, 01:05 PM
Hi Sharon

Good luck with your search! Rehomed dogs can be challenging but they are very rewarding!

Not sure how detailed it is as it only arrived yesterday, but the January issue of Your Dog magazine has a 24 page special on rehoming; pros and cons, advice and different rescue centres etc so it may be worth a look?

I get the magazine on subscription and as I said it only arrived yesterday so I'm not sure if it is in the shops yet?

Once again - the very best of luck to you!
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-12-2006, 01:38 PM
Firstly can I say good luck
I used to own GSD and as I think moobli mentioned in a previouse post they are not the breed for everyone, I spent 4 years turning Logan into the well behaved dog I wanted and it was very hard work, he was a handful and a half untill 4 years old, then things settled down, from the age of 9 months Logan was working obedience and winning well, so dont think training is everything he was still hard work, and could have gone soooo wrong in the wrong hands, they can be very slow to mature, I would say my rotts are what they are by three but shepherds I would say 4 so you have got to be on the look out for any behavioural changes, they are also very very smart in the right hands it can be channeled and be fab but for someone with limited dog experiance it can be too much,

Why not approach some of the gsd rescues in your area and offer your help free of charge to them. Im sure they would love help and at the same time you would get a feel for the breed, spend time walking, grooming and so on, that way you know what your getting a bit better, by the time you are ready to take one on you will be more likely to know whats for you and whats not,

with logan I had 4 years of hard work but he lived to 14 years old so I got a fab dog for such a long time with no really bad health issues, (ear problems ) which did have ongoing vet bills but nothing major, around £200.00 per year, they are brill dogs. Logan was the dog of my life, but it did not come without blood sweat and tears and I had good dog knowlage when I bought him.

MistyBlue
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-12-2006, 01:45 PM
hiya thanks! i didnt mean what i wrote about the dogs dam colours! all i put was/meant was i like ALL of the colours!!!!! patterns, pink with dots i dont care as long as i can love and look after it! does it really matter? :smt090 :smt102

hiya, thanks! i have contacted a few places and im going to see if i can go down to a few! see whats going on etc!
MistyBlue
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-12-2006, 01:46 PM
Originally Posted by majuka View Post
Hi Sharon

Good luck with your search! Rehomed dogs can be challenging but they are very rewarding!

Not sure how detailed it is as it only arrived yesterday, but the January issue of Your Dog magazine has a 24 page special on rehoming; pros and cons, advice and different rescue centres etc so it may be worth a look?

I get the magazine on subscription and as I said it only arrived yesterday so I'm not sure if it is in the shops yet?

Once again - the very best of luck to you!

oh i will def buy that! thanks!!! do they sell it in local shops/supermarkets or jsut places like wh-smith..... how bad am i? ive never bought a dog mag! only lots and lots of books!!
MistyBlue
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-12-2006, 01:47 PM
Originally Posted by Moobli View Post
I am not JoedeeUK but what I think she is trying to say is that you stated that you would like "non-standard" colours - however black is actually a standard colour in GSDs and, as Joedee loves to point out sable isn't a colour, but a coat pattern (as in grey sable, gold sables). Therefore it would seem you haven't really read up on this breed before going to breed rescue.

However, I don't personally think that just because you aren't aware of the standard and non-standard colours, that automatic makes you unworthy of giving a GSD a great home.

Just for your own knowledge, buy a few GSD specific books, or get some from the library.

A couple of my favs are :-

Understanding the German Shepherd Dog and Training the German Shepherd Dog, both by John Cree.
hiya i have about 10 books!! and i have one of them john ones somewhere! ive read so many! i should be a top trainer by now lol!

oh, well i know other things, and i was actually told by a breeder that only short coat black/tan is acceptable........ so thats why ive always thought all other colours & patterns wernt acceptable....... ive been reading up on them for years, maybe i should have know that i dont know, maybe that makes me a bad person?! not knowing the colours i dont know?!
Doggydina
Almost a Veteran
Female 

07-12-2006, 02:19 PM
Originally Posted by knottybabe View Post
hiya i have about 10 books!! and i have one of them john ones somewhere! ive read so many! i should be a top trainer by now lol!

oh, well i know other things, and i was actually told by a breeder that only short coat black/tan is acceptable........ so thats why ive always thought all other colours & patterns wernt acceptable....... ive been reading up on them for years, maybe i should have know that i dont know, maybe that makes me a bad person?! not knowing the colours i dont know?!
Your not a bad person for not knowing colour standards etc! I don't really know colour standards of Staffies but i still own them, have no intention of breeding/showing so don't need to know. I know what you meant in your original post and think taking on a rescue is a great thing. The breed rescue should be able to help find a suitable dog for you, might take a while, but i'm i'm sure he/she is out there
Page 5 of 7 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 7 >