Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-11-2006, 12:45 AM
Originally Posted by thandi View Post
Oddly enough I have just got back from putting the world to rights at a sub committee meeting
One of our number is a long standing Lab breeder, and in the post meeting coffee and chat, we were discussing genetetics, breeding etc, and she was saying how awful the temperaments were on particular dogs (labs)....and how one was notorious for havign a pop at other dogs and the judge, and yet still gets put up, going on to win BOB!

Labs quite often launch themselves off the benches at shows, at both dogs or people - I avoid them if at all possible

It is such a shame for this lovely breed.
I feel this is true in many breeds, JMO lets face it who wins in the male ring, the dog that is stood in a nice manner but relaxed and happy or the dog next door thats up on its toes and right on the muscle, they just seem to look better but dogs that are on the muscle are so because they are gunning for the dog infront of them,
these often are the dogs that make champ and everyone rushes for stud services of the new champs so there can be a tendency for strong willed dogs to sire a lot of pups, in rotts and many other breeds you can almost smell the testosterone at the male dog open rings, theres a lot of tension in the air,
many handlers use this to there advantage, they are in control of the dog that said but use the situation for there own good, even more so when its been a long day and the dog has been in the ring several times and is a bit flat, I once watched in dismay as one of the top rott handlers in the group ring on purpose faced her dog off to another dog!!! to get him up and working, the young lad was very intimidated by the handler, the person in question let their dog have a roar at the other dog and a quick lunge then told him to face his dog the other way, it was appaling to watch as she was facing the wrong way not the young lad,
Jessica
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-11-2006, 12:45 AM
I haven't had time to read the whole thread, but have scanned through it.

It really suprises me too as a Lab owner to hear of all these attacks. I know you can never trust a dog 100% but i culd not imagine any of my labs even considering attacking me for even a second. They are devoted pets, which is what they should be. Labs ARE good guards dogs and will bark at strangers, but they certainly shouldn't attack.

Unfortunately there was another attack of a labrador to another labrador at a Champ show not so long ago. FRom what i've heard the dog got away from its handler (another big breeder) and went straight for another dog in the ring.

This dog had been used at stud over here and his puppies are around now.. It worried me to think that his lines have been passed on and may well continue into future generations. We shouldn't be breeding from ANY dogs which have aggression issues, especially not in a breed where there is such a choice of dogs with good temperment which are good examples of the breed to use. Unfortunately i think the responsibility in part has to lie with the breeders who are producing dogs from stud dogs or bitches who have a history of aggression or it is in the lines. Just because a dog is outstanding in the showring doesn't mean it should be bred from!
Heldengebroed
Dogsey Senior
Male 

28-11-2006, 08:35 AM
Labradors/golden retrievers and cockers are viewed by the insurance companies as the dangeroust dogs around. They are head of the statistics year after year. The more dangerous dogs not even being in the top 10. Makes you wonder why. It's quit simple. If you accept 2 hypothesis.
1: every dog of a certain sieze can inflict harm if he bites (logic a mini york may try as hell he won't be able to kill me a mastiff only has to give you a small nick and you're full of bruises)
2:On average dogs bite for the same reasons in the same circomstances (if you step on the tail of a dog he will bite regardless breed or sieze, etc)

Based on this the time and numbre of interactions with the dog determants the risk of being bitten.

People tend to stay away from "dangerous" dogs and they also tend to flock around those sweet little pets. Thus making the risk of bite incidents way higher
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-11-2006, 03:00 PM
:smt017 Ithink there is more to this story than meets the eyes.

The story in papers about the french woman who had the first face transplant after her lab had bitten her nose, lips and chin off,

After reading the various articles in papers I feel that there is far more to the story than meets the eye,

Most papers are stateing that she had taken tablets (sleeping pills or tranquilisers) to forget a stressful week, some say she passed out after the dog bit her face then woke up and tried to light a ciggarette, and found she could not hold the ciggarette in her lips and then looked in the mirror and was shocked by what she saw,
other reports say she passed out after taking tablets and woke to find her face was gone,
this to me says a fair amount of tablets would have been taken or surely she would have felt it as soon as she woke ?? the accident came to light at 7.00am when she called her daughter asking her to walk the dog they noticed she did not sound right and found her in a darkend flat covered in blood a short time later,

It seems that she must have taken the tablets the night before and she has no real memory of what happend, and lets face it anything could have just because she has no memory of it does not mean she was asleep the whole time, just as many drunks have gaps in memory people taking medication can also for hours be awake but have no memory the next day, Its what happens when you are in these states that is of real concern, she clearly has problems as both her young daughters do not live with her, they live with there grandmother a short distance away,

The question in my mind is what would make a dog do this?

did she pass out and then beging to choke on her own vommit? its possible, did she take some kind of fit and choke on her tounge? what would make a dog do damage like that but only to a small area of her body? most savage dog attacks would see bite's on arms, legs torso and the like.
From the photo in the sun newspaper yesterday showing the damage to her face it looked like it had been nibbled away, not torn off, :smt017

JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-11-2006, 05:29 PM
As Labradors are the most overbred dog in the UK:-46,000 + last year registered with the KC & possibly an equal amount of unregistered ones as well it is not surprising that they are involved in lots of biting situations

I doubt that any of the pet bred ones have any health tests done & they are touted as the perfect family pet(no such thing as a perfect breed for a pet BTW IMHO)& of course if you breed fro poor temperamented parents then the offspring will not be good either

I was badly bitten by a working Guide Dog which was a black lab x golden & looked just like a black lab so I am none too keen on labs if I don't know them, we have two very aggressive(bred in the purple too)male labradors in our village they roam at will & are often found camped outside houses where there is an in season bitch & if anyone tries to move them they growl & snarl & have tried attacking people

Unfortunately these dogs belong to a local "bigwhig"so the police etc take no action
Anne-Marie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-11-2006, 05:46 PM
It doesn't surprise me, sadly I have come across quite a few of them myself around here. One of them last week dragged his owner nearly off his feet barking and snarling at Ozzy (onlead). It was all the guy could do to hold onto him.

Temperaments do seem to be suffering a bit, however perhaps some are down to the old 'let's jump on the bandwagon' and breed for profit like some people do? If unscrupulous people recognize a popular breed they will cash in on it.

My sister had a Lab male who ended up getting PTS as he was unstable, he tried to attack Sid, totally unprovoked just went for him. That said she has since owned two others who are absolute sops, totally lovely natured.
pod
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-11-2006, 06:04 PM
I have been hearing for a while that Labrador temperaments are becoming more aggressive but I too wonder if this is just down to sheer weight of numbers.

When I worked in boarding (until quite recenlty) Labs were always lovely natured and happy dogs, in fact I can only remember one bitch that was a bit iffy with dogs.

Compared to other breeds, Labs were one of the nicest breeds to handle in boarding.... and one of the worst IMO is the Golden Retriever, though this could be a regional thing as we did have a local puppy farm churning out exceptionally bad temperaments.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-11-2006, 06:59 PM
Originally Posted by pod View Post
I have been hearing for a while that Labrador temperaments are becoming more aggressive but I too wonder if this is just down to sheer weight of numbers.

When I worked in boarding (until quite recenlty) Labs were always lovely natured and happy dogs, in fact I can only remember one bitch that was a bit iffy with dogs.

Compared to other breeds, Labs were one of the nicest breeds to handle in boarding.... and one of the worst IMO is the Golden Retriever, though this could be a regional thing as we did have a local puppy farm churning out exceptionally bad temperaments.
They are yes! Very unpredictable we find. Very still and sometimes appear friendly, then BANG change in a flash!
Dawn.
pod
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-11-2006, 08:37 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
They are yes! Very unpredictable we find. Very still and sometimes appear friendly, then BANG change in a flash!
Dawn.
Yep Exactly

I like GSDs... at least you know where you stand with them. If they don't like you, they darn well tell you so, but once you've made contact, you've got a friend for life
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-11-2006, 08:42 PM
We board some lovely Shepherds, we tend not to take the adult males now unless we know the owners, because they kennel guard etc.. it doesnt give you enough time in kennels to win the situation, and if I cant get them out, get my hands on them and give them a blast in the field, then I'd rather not board them.

Different breeds do give different warnings or signs, Boxers tend to turn their heads away from you, almost back on themselves, strange. G Rets go still and stiff, then fly!
Dawn.
Page 4 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >