Our sister sites
Our sister sites
kingbenny
Dogsey Senior
Male 

25-08-2010, 06:52 PM

Rehoming advice.

Hi Guys,

I'm at my wits end and I'm hoping for some advice from everyone here. As some of you know, I recently had to separate from my partner and find emergency housing, she agreed to take our dog Boomer on and although I was devastated to see him go I was at least pleased he would have a loving home.

This weekend I saw Boomer for the first time, he was meant to be staying over from Thursday until Monday but my ex never came back to pick him up Although I want Boomer here more than anything in the world I'm not allowed pets here long term and the landlord has said he can only stay for a week or so, my ex has made various excuses but now is admitting that she just does not want a dog in her life.

I feel like I'm failing Boomer and I need to take action, I'm not in a position where I can look for a house where I can keep Boomer due to illness but I can't face the prospect of him going to a shelter.

Does anyone have any advice, If anyone knows of a genuinely loving home in the Nottingham area please also direct them towards me, I can't face taking him to a shelter and this is simply killing me as all I want for Boomer is a good home, even if that's not with me......

The terrible thing about this is Boomer was so unsettled over the weekend but is now back to his old self,I can't have him messed around like this as he is such a loyal and loving dog.
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-08-2010, 07:00 PM
So sorry to hear this I know how much he means to you. Is there no way your ex would consider having him rather than having to rehome him?

There are so many Staffy's looking for homes right now as I am sure you are aware of.......

Wishing you all the best in sorting this out whichever way is best for you and Boomer.
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-08-2010, 07:02 PM
Sorry but I would buy an old camper van and live in it rather than let him go.

His chances of finding a great home are so slim---that is the reality with staffies at the moment.

rune
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-08-2010, 07:20 PM
Originally Posted by rune View Post
Sorry but I would buy an old camper van and live in it rather than let him go.

His chances of finding a great home are so slim---that is the reality with staffies at the moment.

rune
Agreed.

I feel so sorry for this poor dog being messed about in such a way.
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-08-2010, 07:27 PM
Is there any way that you can ask your landlord for a little leeway in his ruling? After all, he has been kind enough to allow you to keep Boomer for a short while so maybe he will relent in the circumstances and extend that - just so that you can try to sort things out.
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-08-2010, 07:35 PM
Originally Posted by Bitkin View Post
Is there any way that you can ask your landlord for a little leeway in his ruling? After all, he has been kind enough to allow you to keep Boomer for a short while so maybe he will relent in the circumstances and extend that - just so that you can try to sort things out.
Agreed!
My friend has 3 dogs and saw a lovely house for rent that stated 'no dogs'.
She offered a larger deposit, and said she would make sure the carpets etc will be cleaned before she leaves the house if/when she does.
She explained how clean her dogs were, and got a written statement from her previous landlord to say he had never had any problems with her dogs before.
Reisu
Almost a Veteran
Female 

25-08-2010, 07:36 PM
Not everybody has the security or ability to be able to give up their home for their dog, sadly, especially where illness is concerned.
Maybe it would be worth getting in touch with a staffie rescue and seeing if they have any spaces for him as a foster- a slim chance I know, but a chance none the less. If not perhaps it'd be worth asking the rescue if they'd be willing to list him on their site and explain this to your landlord to see if you could hang on to him a bit longer.
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-08-2010, 07:56 PM
Oh Mike, I'm so sorry. I know you have Boomer's absolute best interests at heart..... hope you find some help soon, hon x
steve78
Dogsey Senior
Male 

25-08-2010, 08:41 PM
doask the land lord on our tennancy we wernt allowed pets but we agreed to pay him a £200 for our dogs and have all carpets cleaned at the end when we go and replace any damage that the dogs have caused and he agreed trust me the guy is a complete tw@@ but hes been verry good to allow pets now make some twinkles in your eyes lol but seriously id ask him even introduce him to boomer if he hasnt met him allready win him over thta way anyhow i wish you luckin finding a home for him if you cant get him to stay
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-08-2010, 08:42 PM
how old is Boomer again?
I do feel a bit sorry for him, I know you are doing whats best for him, but the staffie rescue situation is just so horrid at moment and there are just not enough homes and certainly few that are guaranteed.

Was he not a rescue originally? If so he should go back to the rescue he came from...

I am sorry I cant really offer more advice but its not an easy thing trying to rehome a staffie and you have to realise if he does go into a shelter he may be there for a considerable time.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >