View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-03-2009, 10:04 PM

About birds & dogs (observations) your opinions sought please.

Over the last few days I have been watching the birds in the dog yard, we have a feeder and loads of birds visit and drop seeds and bits and pieces on the grass, so naturally the dogs are interested.

Now most people can’t tell my dogs apart but I am convinced the birds can, if Saxon or Varg are in the yard, even right under the bird feeders the birds still feed, however if Solomon walks out the birds take off immediately and knowing Solomon they are wise to do so.

What surprises me is without him even being aware of them they are aware of him and not only that they know which one he is. I am amazed that they can do this as to most people they all look alike.
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-03-2009, 12:09 AM
Well we feed the birds and have a beautiful tame Robin who feeds every day, same time same place, first on the table then on the floor.
I never thought about it before until you asked, but if Reah or Skye go out, the Robin will stay on the ground feeding, but as soon as Bruce steps out through the back door, the Robin immediately retreats to the safety of the shed roof.

In the past Bruce has run and chased it off, although he has stopped it now...........maybe your right, Mr.Robin must know the difference between them
pod
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-03-2009, 01:01 AM
I think some bird species as prey animals are very much attuned to the demeanor and body language of predators. They have to be to survive. So they're probably not distinguishing one dog from another, just reacting to different stimulae that we wouldn't necessarily be aware of.

Similarly predators such as the big cats can be seen in close proximity to their prey species so long as they are relaxed and not in hunting mode. It seems to be body posture that stimulates the flight response.
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-03-2009, 06:23 AM
Well thats just blown my myth out then as where I walk my two sometimes there are lots of wild rabbits. I walk my dogs seperatly so when I go with Shady (Rottie x GSD) the rabbits just carry on nibbling the grass till we are literally a few feet away and Shady is lunging on the end of the lead trying to get them, before they move. When I go with Milo (JRT) they always run as soon as they spot him in the distance.
I thought that the rabbits must be clever and know JRT's are hunters and will persue them, (even though Milo ignores them), or they know he is little and quick and could persue them down thier holes if they didn't hide before he got there.
Little do they seem to realise that in actual fact Shady is the one out for thier blood.