Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-06-2009, 07:15 AM
Originally Posted by Shona View Post
I havent even started yet

but I did cook the liver a wee while ago, so no excuse not to get on with it tomorrow...lol
Well we know what Vinnie thinks of normal dog biscuits don't we - 'pppff, what are you giving me, that's not liver'

Originally Posted by Ramble View Post
Todays update is I didn't have as much time!!!
BUT Cosmo can touch a football with one paw with ease...and is mastering a wave.

Tango...well she's still working on giving a paw! I decided to teach a down whilst I was at it and she did much better with that (seriously she has no down going on at all.) So in fairness to my pretty one she has made progress today. I am hoping that she will gain confidence learning the down....and that will have a knock on effect on the paw...but don't hold your breath!!!!
Tango sounds just like Tip - will be interesting to see which one makes the break through first

Day 2 update.

Hoki.
Smartest of them, but has also had the longest time getting used to learning stuff.

She can now do paw, foot, touch and a sort of wave (she just holds her paw up ). Bit random with the commands though - she's still guessing what i want a lot of the time.

Stumpy
Also made good progress last night - she's finally realised that her left paw can come off the ground without her falling over And she's started to do 'touch' too. once again, a lot of guess work on her part - including trying 'down' and 'play dead'

Tip
Getting nowhere fast. Still, he needs fattening up, so I can afford to be heavy on the treats with him.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-06-2009, 07:22 AM
Originally Posted by Hali View Post
Well we know what Vinnie thinks of normal dog biscuits don't we - 'pppff, what are you giving me, that's not liver'

Tango sounds just like Tip - will be interesting to see which one makes the break through first

Day 2 update.

Hoki.
Smartest of them, but has also had the longest time getting used to learning stuff.

She can now do paw, foot, touch and a sort of wave (she just holds her paw up ). Bit random with the commands though - she's still guessing what i want a lot of the time.

Stumpy
Also made good progress last night - she's finally realised that her left paw can come off the ground without her falling over And she's started to do 'touch' too. once again, a lot of guess work on her part - including trying 'down' and 'play dead'
oops managed to delete instead of highlight the bit I meant to about Tip...big oops....

Yep just like Tango!!!!!! I keep thinking 'ah well....she needs to put a bit of lard on anyway'...as she consumes endless amounts of hotdog!!!!!
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-06-2009, 08:18 AM
Terra now understands the click/treat thing (note to self, don't play vid's with sound on with clicker training as she comes running round to look for a treat )
I taught her watch, which she got the hang of very quickly so today is paw day! I'm doing several 5 minute training sessions as I find it works better than a longer one!
I don't know what treats you lot are using but I am using premuim dried puppy meat. It's basically small pieces of dried (not fried) meat but not to be used if you are squeamish as there are tubes and things in it lol! However, the dogs love it and because it is dry and small I don't get too greasy hands as I do with cheese! It only costs £15 for 15kgs so very very cheap when you think of the cost of other dried meat treats!
Becky
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-06-2009, 08:31 AM
Originally Posted by Mahooli View Post
Terra now understands the click/treat thing (note to self, don't play vid's with sound on with clicker training as she comes running round to look for a treat )
I taught her watch, which she got the hang of very quickly so today is paw day! I'm doing several 5 minute training sessions as I find it works better than a longer one!
I don't know what treats you lot are using but I am using premuim dried puppy meat. It's basically small pieces of dried (not fried) meat but not to be used if you are squeamish as there are tubes and things in it lol! However, the dogs love it and because it is dry and small I don't get too greasy hands as I do with cheese! It only costs £15 for 15kgs so very very cheap when you think of the cost of other dried meat treats!
Becky

Aww - they will learn to distiguish...we often have 4 sperate clickers going in a class and the dogs only reposnd to thier own.

I am interested in this Puppy meat though...could you PM me some details?
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-06-2009, 08:36 AM
Originally Posted by Tassle View Post
Aww - they will learn to distiguish...we often have 4 sperate clickers going in a class and the dogs only reposnd to thier own.

I am interested in this Puppy meat though...could you PM me some details?
Why not post more details on the thread - I'd be interested too Is it only suitable for pups? (when I first saw it I thought it was meat made from puppies )

Mind you I sometimes find that if I use too high a value treat, the dogs just go daft - they can't think straight for the anticipation of the really tasty treat. For that reason, sometimes I just use broken up dog biscuits.
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-06-2009, 08:50 AM
Dried Puppy Meat
Would be best to shop around, see if your local shop can get it or contact local wholesaler. They do do an adult one as well if you need bigger pieces. My dogs are just small!
The pieces are so small that it should be easier to feed and they shouldn't get too silly over it. I know mine wont work for lower value treats, the higher the value the more willing. Takes all sorts lol!
Becky
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-06-2009, 09:01 AM
Originally Posted by Mahooli View Post
Dried Puppy Meat
Would be best to shop around, see if your local shop can get it or contact local wholesaler. They do do an adult one as well if you need bigger pieces. My dogs are just small!
The pieces are so small that it should be easier to feed and they shouldn't get too silly over it. I know mine wont work for lower value treats, the higher the value the more willing. Takes all sorts lol!
Becky
Thanks for the info Becky, I might well get some of that
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-06-2009, 09:30 AM
OK, 2nd training session....

Max just doesn't get it
He will happily give me a paw, and will have it placed on the plantpot, and leave it there, but the command "paw... touch" (or even "touch" on it's own) elicits a look of "what ARE you on about?"

Murphy however, seems to be getting the hang of it slightly more. He is 'touching' the plantpot when he gives a paw, and will leave it resting on the pot.
However, this seems to be a happy coincidence rather than an understanding of the actual command!

I shall persevere!
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-06-2009, 09:31 AM
Originally Posted by Hali View Post
Well we know what Vinnie thinks of normal dog biscuits don't we - 'pppff, what are you giving me, that's not liver' .
lol, it does help him concentrate more though....well thats my story, fussy sod that he is.
rachelsetters
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-06-2009, 10:33 AM
Day 2 - bit busy so didn't do much but managed a quick session

Charlie - ah I remember this you want my paw - doof here you go - yehay!

Angus - bang - here it is paw - he has distinguised high five and paw now

Connor - which one - this one that one both oh just the one! So not too bad

Max - sits and stares at me - I am NOT lifting my foot up! You lift it all you like but its not going to happen! Oh well lets keep trying

Such fun this isn't it - I love it - thanks Becky!
Page 8 of 11 « First < 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 >