View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-11-2006, 11:09 PM
When a breed is supposed to show "no trace of aggression" would one expect a Labrador to bite at all?
Heldengebroed
Dogsey Senior
Male 

30-11-2006, 09:34 AM
http://www.understand-a-bull.com/BSL...lityLI0106.pdf

Another tragic accident with a retriever.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-11-2006, 10:15 AM
What a terribly sad story.
Holly663
Dogsey Junior
Female 

30-11-2006, 10:27 AM
It doesnt matter about breed...its an animal! and you dont know its back ground.
Holly663
Dogsey Junior
Female 

30-11-2006, 10:30 AM
my friend was riding a horse that never harmed anyone, he spooked, and smashed her face in. She needs plates in the side of her face.I know its slightly different being a horse and not a dog, but any animal can do things unexpectidly. However some dogs show some aggression before attacking someone.
How do you know the dog wasnt trying to play with the girl..if its owner played 'tug of war' with the dog...i know it proberbly wasnt playing, and was being aggressive...but who knows unless they were there. Its a hard one.
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-11-2006, 12:55 PM
when I read it, the first thought that struck me was it is just playing, it grabbed the scarf in the kitchen and was put outside by the girls mother, later on the little girl was allowed to go and play with the dog!!! still wearing the scarf!!! this could have been prevented and I didn't get the feeling the dog was acting out of aggession just a big dog being silly,
a very sad story but one that could have been prevented,l
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-11-2006, 01:00 PM
Originally Posted by jade&sky View Post
It doesnt matter about breed...its an animal! and you dont know its back ground.
So what is the point of breeding pedigree dogs with breed standards laid out with regard to character and temperament?
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-11-2006, 01:27 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
So what is the point of breeding pedigree dogs with breed standards laid out with regard to character and temperament?
I must agree with dawn hear as the standerd for labs and for that matter most soft mouthed gun dogs does give the impression that they should be totaly non aggressive, I have not come across an aggressive "work" type lab it always seems to be "show" that have a bit of a quirk, The breed ones seem bigger and more rounded than the work ones in my area the working labs are smaller with a slightly less rounded head, although some seem a bit long in the back, you can tell the diff in show and work labs round hear a mile away, is it the same everywhere?
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-11-2006, 01:29 PM
Originally Posted by dougiepit View Post
I must agree with dawn hear as the standerd for labs and for that matter most soft mouthed gun dogs does give the impression that they should be totaly non aggressive, I have not come across an aggressive "work" type lab it always seems to be "show" that have a bit of a quirk, The breed ones seem bigger and more rounded than the work ones in my area the working labs are smaller with a slightly less rounded head, although some seem a bit long in the back, you can tell the diff in show and work labs round hear a mile away, is it the same everywhere?
Many show bred Labs are too heavy, no legs, mastiff appearance and lacking in stamina, the working bred ones can run and run and run!! Saying that though, there are some show ones that can do a days work, for that I am very pleased!
Dawn.
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-11-2006, 01:42 PM
Hi dawn, I am no expert on labs to be honest what I know about the breed standered you could write on the back of a stamp! just wondered what came closest to the standered the work type lab or the show type lab, or is the standard quite broad and both fall into it,
I prefer the work labs as they look like working gun dogs, the show ones look lovley but seem a bit thick and harder to train, again this could just be the dogs I have met
Page 6 of 7 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 >