Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Daysleeper40
Dogsey Junior
Female 

06-03-2006, 02:34 PM
Originally Posted by micki
i like the way some people use the word "softer" as a way of lessening the severity of a drug. the reality is cannabis can destroy lives just as easily as any other drug as im sure "Bens mum" would agree.. at last someone talking sense.Something i cant understand is recreational use,it is common sense to know what can happen so why still do it? if u dont NEED it then DONT DO IT.. its Russian Roulette and sooner or later it will get u.
I take your point but you could say the same about drinking - plenty of people drink alcohol in a responsible way recreationally, but for some people it becomes a dependency that ruins lives. If you are alcohol dependent it doesn't matter whether it is lager, vodka or meths you are drinking - the problem is the same. On the other hand, having a glass of wine after a long day or a pint down the pub of an evening is a perfectly normal activity for a lot of people. I view drugs in the same way - therefore I think that yes, there are soft and hard drugs - you CAN become dependent on both but there is still a massive difference between someone smoking a joint to unwind and somebody jacking up on heroin.

If you take the view you have above then there is no middle ground - your answer is simply don't take drugs of any kind ever. I personally believe you have to look at it in a more realistic way - people do use cannabis recreationally and still manage to be functioning members of society... your thinking that it is wrong and the fact that it is illegal is not going to stop them.

The police authorities have more pressing matters to deal with than a recreational cannabis user and in the real world they often turn a blind eye - if you have ever attended a music festival you will know what I mean! Does it not make more sense to focus efforts on the hardcore element of drug dealers and find a way for these recreational users to continue without lining the dealers pockets??

Oh and Rich C - thanks for the link, I will def have a look... I also find the subject very interesting!
micki
Dogsey Junior
Male 

06-03-2006, 05:32 PM
ok i hear what u are saying but if people wanna take the risk thats up to them, only i work with the aftermath of "soft" drug taking. Its not very nice.
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-03-2006, 11:16 PM
I actually think it depends on the person concerned. i know a frequent cannibis smoker very well and they have no probelms - they dontever take anything heavier than that have been doing it for 15 years and their personality is exactly the same. on the same token a family member of mine started with cannibis and progressed to more heavy recreational drugs and it took a long time for them to come back from that - but they did.

I think different people can be affected or addicted in different ways - so yes it is russian roulette and you are taking the chance as soon as you accept the drug regardless of what it is, however as daysleeper points out -its exactly the same with alcohol some people cannot just have one.

obviously the major differences are the risks as to what drugs are cut with - whereas with alcohol because it is legal it is regulated.

personally i dont touch drugs - I have experimented in my youth but it never appealed - i am just too much of a control freak to enjoy it !
micki
Dogsey Junior
Male 

06-03-2006, 11:33 PM
well i dont drink, smoke or use illicit drugs.. just hope my children do the same.
geordieboxerlover
Dogsey Senior
Female 

08-03-2006, 11:04 PM
i was once asked why i thought all cannibis users would become drug dependant when i did not think that all drinkers would become alcholics
i suppose it does depend on the person taking the "soft drug" to whether they do need more of a buzz in later time.
one thing i do know is cannibis is not the "soft drug" people try to make it out to be
there can be terrible affects from cannibis if smoked regulary and i know this to be true from a member of my close family using it.
no drug is safe whether it be cannibis smoking or drink especially if the person is of a addicted personality
micki
Dogsey Junior
Male 

09-03-2006, 09:57 PM
As instructed eres my 4th penith??? wotever that means. Addictive personality is something i come across quite often. sometimes its a good way of justifing substance misuse.. " i use this coz i have an addictive personality".. same as the disease model.
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-03-2006, 09:48 AM
Addictive personalities do exist, it runs in my family persistently. Both my Mother and Brother are terrible addicts, but the difference between me and them is I choose not to take anything.
Trixy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-05-2006, 04:27 PM
No Drugs for me but I won't lie and say I have never done it
Bodhi
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-05-2006, 04:41 PM
Oh no.. not this thread again

lillybet
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-05-2006, 02:13 PM
never ever ever have i done "drugs". but i do love calpol!!!!!!!!!!!
Page 16 of 17 « First < 6 13 14 15 16 17 >