Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-10-2011, 08:27 AM

Anesthetic administration without shaved leg

Have your dogs ever had anesthetic administered in to their legs without shaving the leg first?

ETA: I mean through your decision and not the vets!
rueben
Dogsey Senior
Female 

20-10-2011, 08:36 AM
I'm thinking back on that one but I can't recall a single time any of mine have not been shaved.

In answer to your edit- No.
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

20-10-2011, 08:43 AM
No. The leg is shaved and a cannula is inserted, which is then taped onto the leg for the IV drip.
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-10-2011, 12:15 PM
Why don't you want the area shaved? It's only tiny.
They even shaved Teagans leg to administer the injection to put her to sleep.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-10-2011, 12:41 PM
I would have thought the reason they shave it is to see a vein or artery?? If they take blood they want a vein and if they give something they want an artery, so maybe they can see the difference or know it at least without all that fur there? Never had a dog who hasn't been shaved first, even when they do the jugular in Georgie, it's always shaved.
Kizzy24
Dogsey Junior
Female 

20-10-2011, 12:54 PM
As a Veterinary Nurse we have done this on occassions for people mainly who show their dog as it does take a while to grow back. As long as you sign for the higher chance of infection (as this is why the hair is removed mainly) then your Vet should be fine about it.
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-10-2011, 01:33 PM
Thanks all. I know it's very vain, but Roxy's hair took AGES to grow in properly after the hair on her leg was clipped last time and she has a big show next month.....

Anyway, she is booked in for a dental next month and like you have said, Kizzy, as long as I sign the form stating that, then it's not a problem and she should be fine. I asked them had they ever had a problem with a dog with an unclipped leg and they told me never.......

I have told them though that if they feel they NEED to clip it, then to go ahead and do it.

Thanks all.

*Awaits abuse telling me what a bad owner I am*
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-10-2011, 05:54 PM
The last time one of my dogs had a leg shaved for a GA or sedation was back in the 1990s. My older BC bitch has had 3 GAs(one for broken claw, one for spaying & the 3rd for Hip scoring)no shaving involved. Keewee has been sedated for Penn Hip & Hip scoring & had no leg shaving for either. Rjj had a GA for removal of his rear dew claws
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-10-2011, 05:58 PM
Originally Posted by JoedeeUK View Post
The last time one of my dogs had a leg shaved for a GA or sedation was back in the 1990s. My older BC bitch has had 3 GAs(one for broken claw, one for spaying & the 3rd for Hip scoring)no shaving involved. Keewee has been sedated for Penn Hip & Hip scoring & had no leg shaving for either. Rjj had a GA for removal of his rear dew claws
Excellent. Thanks for that, good to know. Hopefully they will be able to give Roxy her GA without the shaved leg too!
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-10-2011, 05:58 PM
Originally Posted by Kizzy24 View Post
As a Veterinary Nurse we have done this on occassions for people mainly who show their dog as it does take a while to grow back. As long as you sign for the higher chance of infection (as this is why the hair is removed mainly) then your Vet should be fine about it.
its not really about infection its about seeing the vein
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >