Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
sarahj1980
Dogsey Junior
Female 

08-10-2009, 02:01 PM

puppys first jabs

my puppy is having his 8 weeks jabs tomorrow, i am aware he is due more after these first ones but my quiestion is, when can we start taking him out for a walk, xx
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-10-2009, 02:14 PM
Generally a week to 10 days after the second vaccination. But, vets tend to differ on this so ask when you go for his first vac.
SumsX
New Member!
Female 

08-10-2009, 02:18 PM
Agree...ask your vet .... happy walking!
Fernsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-10-2009, 02:58 PM
The vet will tell you .
You can carry the pup out with you to let him see things before then . Just don't put him down it's just not worth the risk
lilypup
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-10-2009, 03:12 PM
if you're not already, start taking him out in your arms to get him used to different noises, sights and sounds. it makes a huge difference to puppies when they are familiar with cars, people etc from an early age.

and i agree that you should follow your vets advice re the jabs. i was told 2 weeks after lily's second one.
sarahj1980
Dogsey Junior
Female 

08-10-2009, 03:19 PM
hi thanks for the advice, we havent taken him further than the garden at the moment, but we put him on his lead while he is in the garden so he can get used to that oart x
chicosweet
Dogsey Junior
Female 

08-10-2009, 05:34 PM
Our vet told us definately 2 weeks but that we could take him out in our garden/on carried walks. Like others have said, it's not worth the risk.
sarahj1980
Dogsey Junior
Female 

09-10-2009, 09:22 PM
oscar had his jabs today, poor little puppy was not impressed at all, especially when they put a thermometer up his bum he has been wormed and flead while he was there too, he goes back in two weeks for his second jabs, i always thought they had 3 sets of jabs but was informed today that it is only 2 sets. i asked about the walks and she said 2 weeks after he has had his second lot, so only a month to go and then we can start showing him off even more
Tillymint
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-10-2009, 09:26 PM
We were told 2 weeks after 2nd jabs too.
Labman
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

10-10-2009, 03:02 AM
Originally Posted by lilypup View Post
if you're not already, start taking him out in your arms to get him used to different noises, sights and sounds. it makes a huge difference to puppies when they are familiar with cars, people etc from an early age.

and i agree that you should follow your vets advice re the jabs. i was told 2 weeks after lily's second one.
This is much better advice than many vets give. Keep them in and you can end up with a healthy misfit best left in the kennel.

For more on this see http://www.akc.org/enewsletter/akc_b...nter/puppy.cfm

The period between 6-12 weeks is a dangerous time. One sniff where a sick dog relieved itself in the last 6 months can bring on parvo or another life threatening disease. Fail to expose it to strangers, including men, women, children, noise, etc. and you could end up with a misfit you can't take out in public. They also need continuing contact with other dogs, but it must be limited to ones you know are getting good care.

For safe socialization, see http://www.apdt.com/po/news/docs/Messer_Nov06.pdf