Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
toobendy
Dogsey Junior
Female 

29-06-2012, 10:57 PM

Apologising to a dog

does anyone else apologise to their dog? i just accidently kicked poppys nose. i were hobbling back to my bed from the mini fridge & my knee popped out of joint (common thing for me) & my lower leg went out sideways. poppy was stood there with her kong & my foot connected with her nose. it wasn't hard, she didn't yelp & she is rather wimpy so she would've yelped if it hurt at all. she just looked at me & wagged her tail. so then i said 'sorry pops' i then started to think is this normal? does anyone else apologise to their dog or am i just really weird?
katygeorge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-06-2012, 11:02 PM
I talk to phoebe all the time as if she understands. So no to me its quite normal
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-06-2012, 11:06 PM
Oh yes, I am so clumsy I think they think 'sorry' means 'big fuzz coming' and they get all wiggly - I take it to mean they have forgiven me
3dognight
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

29-06-2012, 11:08 PM
i talk to mine all the time.i think when you have to say sorry to your dog....they undestand.its your body language.mine sometimes say sorry as well.body language?interesting
toobendy
Dogsey Junior
Female 

29-06-2012, 11:13 PM
yeah i do talk to my dogs a lot too, probably a lot more than i talk to people. poppy says sorry to me by looking sad then licking me if she's done something that made me say oww which is how i've always let her know if she's being too rough. she sometimes drops toys on my nose, i think trying to give them to me which is ok if its something light like one of her little rawhide chews although it is a bit gross if she's been chewing it for awhile & it's all slimy but it hurts if she brings something heavy!
PB&J
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-06-2012, 11:24 PM
If I tread on a paw or accidentally clonk them on the head or something (what can I say, I'm clumsy) I always make a big fuss of apologising, it's just instinctive. It is one way that I do treat them a bit like children
3dognight
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

29-06-2012, 11:30 PM
you should see my dogs when im sick or sad.my wife thinks its interesting,there very emotional
Tass
Almost a Veteran
Female 

29-06-2012, 11:35 PM
I say sorry e.g. if I accidentally bump or startle them, thank you (in a "good dog" tone) if they have done something for me, particularly fetched or picked up something I have asked for, or left something alone when asked, and please as in "today/now please" in a firm tone, if they are slow to comply with an instruction.

It seems to work for us.
EmmiS
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-06-2012, 11:52 PM
I chat away to my horses and used to natter away to sweep.

Literally about anything, we moved some jump wings from the centre of the school to the outside cause we had a dressage comp at our yard and obvs they used the biggest school, and the GRADE B SHOWJUMPER i ride kept spooking at the wings and i was going round like "you see them every day you daft animal" in a really ordinary tone haha.

I've used to ask sweep how he was/what he was up to haha.
toobendy
Dogsey Junior
Female 

30-06-2012, 12:03 AM
glad it's not just me thats crackers then poppy is really sensitive to how i'm feeling. i'm in pain all the time but she knows if i'm having a bad day & she knows where she can lay without hurting me too. like the other day my ribs were really painful because they slip out of place o instead of her laying next to me with her head resting on my chest which would have hurt she put her head on my leg

interestingly tiger seems to be completely oblivious, she'll leap onto the bed & run around all over me then plonk herself down on me!

tiger had to be banned from my room after i'd had shoulder surgery because i had my arm in an immobilizer sling & weren't allowed to move it at all for 7 weeks. poppy was in my room almost straight away & within 2 visits to my room she had figured out she had to be calm & gentle. she was so good that 2 days after my operation it was xmas day so she got to come into my room & open my xmas presents on my bed which of course is something very exciting for her but she was careful enough & she was allowed in my room all the time after that because i knew she would be careful enough
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 > Last »