Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-02-2010, 04:01 PM

APDT, whos a member??

I have been planning to do the assesment for a while now
Their dates always seem to be over a year in advance somewhere down in England. But I was on today and noticed they now have some dates in Glasgow

I really want to do it!! As a driving instructor I am used to training people, I have been practising running classes with friends and I am doing a diploma in canine studies so I think I have most of the bases covered

Just wondering who has taken the assesment and how they found it? Any pitfalls I need to look out for??

Sacred and a little excited!
Cassius
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-02-2010, 12:25 AM
Hi,

I would have done the assessment last year if they hadn't all been fully booked. I'm booked into one later this year (in the summer) somewhere but because of personal stuff going on, I'm not sure if I'm going to have the time to do it. Also I have the other courses I'm already studying to consider. I don't want to take on something extra then end up failing something so I may drop out. I could always let you know if I do, then you could have my place if you want it I suppose (unless there's some regulation to say they reallocated places differently). Although ahve you tried to get on an assessment date yet?

I think the assessments are exactly as you would expect them to be from what you read on their website. There are no trick questions and I know you have to take a class of about 4-6 dogs (unknown to yourself) and teach them simple things like sit, heel, stay etc. they will be all different ages and you won't be told what any of them can already do.

From what I've been told, the written assessment is the difficult part, but then I think it's always more difficult to get somethign across on paper than it is verbally or practically.

Try to get some experience with a local trainer and ask for any tips they may have for you. Show them the assessment criteria and take a few training classes if you can under the guidance of another more experienced trainer. This way, you'l be able to see (or they will) if you make any mistakes.

I don't knwo how else to advise you as I've not yet done it. but good luck anyway.

Laura xx