Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
fizzigal
Dogsey Junior
Female 

09-08-2011, 03:37 PM

Axolotl

has anyone had any dealings with these? trying to persuade hubby to let me have a few, he thinks we have enough
WhichPets
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-08-2011, 06:39 PM
Three of my friends own them!

They are funny little things But grow pretty big! They look pretty amazing I always think.
fizzigal
Dogsey Junior
Female 

09-08-2011, 07:05 PM
i think they look really interesting, and quite pretty (in an odd way) espcially the albinos with the pink do they keep more than one at a time?
dog_geek
Dogsey Senior
Female 

09-08-2011, 07:08 PM
There freaky looking had to google it as I didnt know what they were!
WhichPets
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-08-2011, 07:09 PM
Yes I love the pink ones

Apparently they like to live in pairs or groups and I think if you have a big enough tank and get them at the same time they should be fine.

One person had one and a few weeks later got another, but they beat eachother up so were seperated.
Another friend has one, and is going to get a bigger tank soon and plans to add another one or 2.

They are both babies so not seen any fully grown and dont know enough to reliably say whether they are better together or alone! Where possible I always like to see animals in groups though..JMO
fizzigal
Dogsey Junior
Female 

09-08-2011, 07:23 PM
Originally Posted by dog_geek View Post
There freaky looking had to google it as I didnt know what they were!
lol i think thats why i like them

i think they are better in groups, as long as they have plenty of room. best to intoduce a baby to an adult, as when they babies they tend to eat the legs off each other! but they do grow back

the only thing that puts me off is they take alot of cleaning out as they are meat eaters
WhichPets
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-08-2011, 07:30 PM
Yes my friends nibbled eachothers legs off. They keep them together in groups as babies in PAH with no issues. Interesting to know its easier to introduce baby to adult than baby to baby.

True, but with a good filter and weekly water changes you should be ok. It is usually over feeding that causes issues with water quality when there is lots of food left over which then pollutes the water.

Many fish will eat bloodworm etc - especially marines, and all fish eat fishfood which is made of fish, so I dont think you should have too many difficulties cleaning wise.
PAH do free water tests too so you can check your water quality every now and then.
GSDlover4ever
Almost a Veteran
Female 

09-08-2011, 07:35 PM
I did animal care at college and they had two Axolotls, I can remember they need lots of cleaning out.... and that they kept laying loads of eggs.

You could see the babys grow inside the eggs... some survived, most were eaten by the parents.
fizzigal
Dogsey Junior
Female 

09-08-2011, 07:37 PM
do they sell them in PAH?!? ill have to look in my local
what filter does your friends use? i know they like still water so would be interested to find out what filters people use
fizzigal
Dogsey Junior
Female 

09-08-2011, 07:39 PM
Originally Posted by GSDlover4ever View Post
I did animal care at college and they had two Axolotls, I can remember they need lots of cleaning out.... and that they kept laying loads of eggs.

You could see the babys grow inside the eggs... some survived, most were eaten by the parents.
i think its fascinating watching them grow in the eggs you can even tell what colour they will be before they hatch
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >