Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-05-2011, 10:30 AM

How hard would it be to set up a farm?

I love the idea of setting up a farm and living where we work and enjoying what we do. It is of course a hypothetical question - we have no plans of setting up a farm any time soon..

But what would we have to choose - obviously we'd have to choose between meat or other farming produce. It would be animals though - crops are not my thing (can't keep a house plant alive )

What does setting up a farm entail and how did you get into farming (I know there's at least one of you living on a farm)

Replies greatly appreciated and other comments too
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-05-2011, 10:46 AM
You marry an old man called Mr MacDonald (and get to know your vowels!)
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-05-2011, 11:11 AM
From scratch with no agricultural experience? with great difficulty I would imagine.

Unless you are talking about running a large scale operation, I can't see how it would be profitable enough to make a living.

I went to an agricultural college (also a very large livestock farm) for two years and there is an immense amount to learn. It isn't the type of business you can jump into without a lot of prior experience.
borderladysue
Dogsey Junior
Female 

05-05-2011, 11:27 AM
Perhaps a small holding would be better, so you could be self sufficiant, but believe me even then you need quite a bit of knowledge, if its a thought for the future, why not think about some part time courses in that type of area.
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-05-2011, 11:33 AM
Originally Posted by krlyr View Post
You marry an old man called Mr MacDonald (and get to know your vowels!)
what are you like!

Originally Posted by labradork View Post
From scratch with no agricultural experience? with great difficulty I would imagine.

Unless you are talking about running a large scale operation, I can't see how it would be profitable enough to make a living.

I went to an agricultural college (also a very large livestock farm) for two years and there is an immense amount to learn. It isn't the type of business you can jump into without a lot of prior experience.
Originally Posted by borderladysue View Post
Perhaps a small holding would be better, so you could be self sufficiant, but believe me even then you need quite a bit of knowledge, if its a thought for the future, why not think about some part time courses in that type of area.
As I said it was a hypothetical question - I have no intention anytime soon and possibly will never actually set up a farm - but I fully understand your comments.

Labradork - I have farmer blood in me does that count?

And I've worked on a farm for a couple of weeks.

Apart from knowledge and experience - what else would anyone thinking of setting up a farm have to think about - maybe in terms about animals?
Murf
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

05-05-2011, 11:33 AM
Are farms not mostly handed down through generations..
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-05-2011, 11:36 AM
Originally Posted by Murf View Post
Are farms not mostly handed down through generations..
Usually but any one can buy a plot of land and start a small farm off - it may grow or it may stay little.. as long as you have planning permission and other documents to say you can build/have livestock etc then you don't need to have it in the family - although there is a farm somewhere in Cumbria that my Granddad used to own - I could get rights to that if I wanted surely?

I think my Grandmother sold it though when he died so don't know if that would be possible - a thought though - I could track it down and see how it's doing...
borderladysue
Dogsey Junior
Female 

05-05-2011, 11:50 AM
Originally Posted by SLB View Post
what are you like!

As I said it was a hypothetical question - I have no intention anytime soon and possibly will never actually set up a farm - but I fully understand your comments.

Labradork - I have farmer blood in me does that count?

And I've worked on a farm for a couple of weeks.

Apart from knowledge and experience - what else would anyone thinking of setting up a farm have to think about - maybe in terms about animals?
MONEY, and lots of it
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-05-2011, 11:53 AM
Originally Posted by borderladysue View Post
MONEY, and lots of it
OK - that did pop into my head...

I'm never going to own a farm
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-05-2011, 11:55 AM
Originally Posted by SLB View Post
Usually but any one can buy a plot of land and start a small farm off - it may grow or it may stay little.. as long as you have planning permission and other documents to say you can build/have livestock etc then you don't need to have it in the family - although there is a farm somewhere in Cumbria that my Granddad used to own - I could get rights to that if I wanted surely?

I think my Grandmother sold it though when he died so don't know if that would be possible - a thought though - I could track it down and see how it's doing...
If it was sold on then you wouldn't have any rights to it I don't imagine.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >