Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Katie23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-09-2007, 02:04 PM

Millie can weave!!!

millie - 10 months old - has been practising weaving for ages... (well about 2 months) we do a little 2/3 times aweek while the weathers nice - but we train obedience everyday and imo its paying off

hopefully it should work this vid - one weaving and i will upload another one later of her heelwork - tell me what you think (honestly) and tell me how i can improve...

also some pics of her nick and sam (jumping and weaving) will post more in dogs pics section

hope this works
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-09-2007, 04:13 PM
Aww, bless, she's really got the hang of it hasn't she
CLMG
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-09-2007, 04:25 PM
That's brilliant, how many weave polls do you have, I only ask as Jack was like that with half a dozen, but when we go to training theres 12 (I think) and he found the extra more difficult to pic up and still misses the last couple, but as she is only 10 months old she's doing really well and I wouldn't push her
Katie23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-09-2007, 04:52 PM
we have 12

our middle collie - goes like sh1t off a shovel through them - even though shes had a stroke - i'll have to get a vid

we just got the 6 - up straight today - i was so proud! i dont want to push her yet - but i will give her another week at least on the 6 then add 2 more - then keep adding 2 at a time - i know about the even number thing as to not confuse her

i think once she really has the 6 perfected then 12 shouldnt be a problem!

watch out you lot - when shes 18 months she may be in a show near you!! !!!
Patch
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-09-2007, 05:54 PM
Suze you are going to hate me for putting a downer on things but dogs should`nt do weaving until minimum 12 months old, and the bigger the dog are the older they should be before being introduced to them.

I`m really worried that you say Millie has been working on them for ages already and is only 10 months old now
The weaving action puts a lot of stress on growing spine, joints, and musculature which is why they need to be mature in development before even thinking of aiming them toward weaves.
When I have new students [ whose dogs must be 12 months old before I`ll let them train `proper` ], the weaves are the last piece of equipment they get introduced to so on average they are at least 13 1/2 14 months old by then.

I know you`ll either hate me for saying it or might just dismiss it and carry on because she`s moving ok at it at the moment, but it would be wrong of me to keep quiet on something like this. Please do consider not doing any more weave training until she`s older - she won`t forget how to do what she`s already learned she will literally just carry on where she left off no matter how many months you leave it.

I really wish equipment manufacturers / sellers would include a minimum age warning for this sort of equipment, you can bet they would if they had to pay the vet bills for dogs getting pulled muscles or spinal stiffness etc either straight away or later in life which is when pups and juveniles doing too much too young really hits home
Katie23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-09-2007, 06:03 PM
Originally Posted by Patch View Post
Suze you are going to hate me for putting a downer on things but dogs should`nt do weaving until minimum 12 months old, and the bigger the dog are the older they should be before being introduced to them.

I`m really worried that you say Millie has been working on them for ages already and is only 10 months old now
The weaving action puts a lot of stress on growing spine, joints, and musculature which is why they need to be mature in development before even thinking of aiming them toward weaves.
When I have new students [ whose dogs must be 12 months old before I`ll let them train `proper` ], the weaves are the last piece of equipment they get introduced to so on average they are at least 13 1/2 14 months old by then.

I know you`ll either hate me for saying it or might just dismiss it and carry on because she`s moving ok at it at the moment, but it would be wrong of me to keep quiet on something like this. Please do consider not doing any more weave training until she`s older - she won`t forget how to do what she`s already learned she will literally just carry on where she left off no matter how many months you leave it.

I really wish equipment manufacturers / sellers would include a minimum age warning for this sort of equipment, you can bet they would if they had to pay the vet bills for dogs getting pulled muscles or spinal stiffness etc either straight away or later in life which is when pups and juveniles doing too much too young really hits home

i relly had no idea - i thought that was just jumping

didnt know it was just weaves

we always started our dogs early - i had no idea - i dont want to stop completely though - mabey once every 2 weeks?? shes almost 11 months now really -

i undestand what your saying though and appreciate it