View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Rafflesmoose
New Member!
Female 

11-07-2006, 03:56 PM

Argh maggots!!! (how to repel flies and kill off maggots on elderly incontinent dog?)

Our 15 year old GSD x lab is incontinent and flies sometimes buzz around her. We have been washing her daily, but have discovered today, that there are maggots on her body.
She cannot travel anymore, so we cannot take her to the vets. Is there a shampoo to kill off these maggots and repel flies?
We have been told that shaving her hair would help but we would be reluctant to do so if it would not be beneficial to her.
Thanks for any help!
Vicky
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-07-2006, 04:01 PM
poor girl

Please be very careful, I know maggots will eat a rabbit from the inside out causing terrible damage to their bodies, I assume they would do the same to a dog.

If I were you I would certainly shave her fur from the area so the maggots have nowhere to hide, keep cleaning the visible ones all off, and ring your vet for futher advice, has this happened before???
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

11-07-2006, 04:07 PM
Hi Rafflesmoose welcome to Dogsey ..what a terrible thing to happen to the poor old girl

I would clip the hair off her back end and wash with Tee Tree shampoo as a general thing , but I would also talk to the vet even if you can't take your dog in he may prescribe something you can collect to use on her .

She needs to be kept very clean and this means wiping her back end every time she goes out to relieve herself. Baby wipes are good for this.
Rafflesmoose
New Member!
Female 

11-07-2006, 04:08 PM
Thanks for your quick reply. No it's never happened before - she's only become badly incontinent recently.
We will ring the vet but our usually refuse to speak about anything, no matter how serious, and insist we bring the animal in.
Thanks for the help tho, we'll try!
Rafflesmoose
New Member!
Female 

11-07-2006, 04:09 PM
Thanks Minihaha. I hadn't thought of Tea Tree....
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-07-2006, 04:10 PM
Originally Posted by Rafflesmoose
Thanks for your quick reply. No it's never happened before - she's only become badly incontinent recently.
We will ring the vet but our usually refuse to speak about anything, no matter how serious, and insist we bring the animal in.
Thanks for the help tho, we'll try!
If not would it be possible to find another vet? I've never know a vet decline to give over the phone advice, that's poor service in my opinion if they wont, especially if she can't get down to the surgery.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

11-07-2006, 04:32 PM
Originally Posted by random
If not would it be possible to find another vet? I've never know a vet decline to give over the phone advice, that's poor service in my opinion if they wont, especially if she can't get down to the surgery.
I agree I would not put up with a vet who wasn't co operative under those circumstances ... remember Rafflesmoose you are the paying customer here and as such you can state your requirements.
griff
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-07-2006, 04:33 PM
as the others have said call a vet and ask advice,if your dog can't get to them they may do a home visit for you
Amie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-07-2006, 05:43 PM
Call the Vet to come and have a Home vist if he wont come get a new Vet.

She may have them inside ,if she has they will be doing alsorts of Harm.Really important to get sorted.
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-07-2006, 06:07 PM
This is a case of having to keep her very clean, cut the hair away and wash her several times a day, use one of the baby nappy creams on her skin to stop it becoming sore. If you can afford you can get incontinent pads from boots put that under her bed as it will help draw the moisture away from her body and help you keep her bedding dry and clean. I used to fold one into a pillowcase and change it twice a day. See Rex,his story in the articles

Unless you live in the country I think it unlikely that it is fly strike but a vet would tell you that, I would think it is just houseflies that have laid eggs on the soiled coat and the eggs have hatched into maggots. Extra and frequent care should deal with it.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >