View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
addi
Dogsey Junior
Male 

07-07-2006, 08:02 PM

kicked by a horse (16 week old puppy) Advice?

My pup who is now 16 weeks old has just un knowingly escaped from the puppyproofed garden by bulldozing his way through the hedge to see the horse in the field accross the road, i noticed he wasnt in thegarden so walked outside just in time to hear a lot of welping and crying and a rocket fueled dog come running up and fall at my feet. Thinking he may have a problem i left him where he was and calmed him down for 10 minutes, after this i walked inside to see what he would do, he followed walking ok wih no limping and went streight into his cage and to bed.

I have checked him over and can see no sign of pain or discomfort however he just wants to sleep.

The chap next door who was walking when it happened said he saw what happened and the pup got a good stamp just above his shoulders however im not sure how much he dramatised this.

ANY ADVICE ???
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-07-2006, 08:04 PM
Oh dear - poor pup - not sure what to advise, but sure someone with superior knowledge will be along shortly. In the meantime, watch pup carefully, and call emergency vet if you are in doubt.....
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

07-07-2006, 08:05 PM
Hope he is ok,agree with Vicki.
murphydog
Dogsey Senior
Female 

07-07-2006, 08:24 PM
hi i am a vet nurse pups do get themselves into alot of scrapes dont they!! what i would say is if your pup is eating okay and tomorrow is walking with no problems and has no swelling or lumps then just keep an eye on it if there is any lameness or swelling then i would take to a vet asap as pups bones are very fragile! hope this helps you
addi
Dogsey Junior
Male 

07-07-2006, 09:07 PM
thanks very much, i will see how he is tomorrow
novavizz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-07-2006, 09:42 PM
Hope your pup is ok and not too shell shocked, all I would say is keep an eye open and if you are worried - see your vet.
Flipper
Dogsey Senior
Female 

07-07-2006, 10:18 PM
Ive worked with quite a few dogs that have had a 'little' altercation with a horse of pony.....personally I would get him into the vets (especially if the horse was shoed). Better to be on the safe side with this.

Just my opinion and 50% of the time they are just banged up a bit....but theres still that other 50% !!!
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered
Female  Diamond Supporter 

08-07-2006, 05:20 AM
Bit late, but I agree with Flipper. I would always promptly seek vet help/assessment for a dog/pup that has been kicked as there is a chance that there could be internal damage
Christine
Dogsey Veteran

08-07-2006, 06:00 AM
Yes I agree with S/B & Flipper, I`d have taken him vet straight away. There could be any sort of unseen damage
Hannah
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-07-2006, 08:34 AM
Any news how is he today?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >