View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
novavizz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-07-2006, 10:37 PM
I spayed Nova before her first season, she is now 13 ys old and fit and well. As for ruling out mammary tumours 100%, I don't think that is totally accurate. Nova had mammary tumours removed in 2004!!! Other than that she is well, frail now but well.

If I ever got another pup (too old now for pups) I would still spay before a season.
Footybird11
Dogsey Senior
Female 

06-07-2006, 10:39 PM
hi ya i know a lot of people wont agree with me, but... i personally havent had my bitch speyed as i have heard from a lot of veterinary people that some breeds esp husky's dont cope well under anaesthetic. dunno if dobes are the same tho. (my bitch has to sty on lead and wont let any dog sniff her back end ever!!! and we have an 8 foot fence making it easier for us) and when i had my old dog (male)snipped he got very protective over me and my mu and would growl at anyone coming near, but b4 his snip he was fine.
Meganrose
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-07-2006, 10:49 PM
Originally Posted by Ripsnorterthe2nd
There'll be someone along shortly with more knowledge about this, but for now you can have my opinion!

It's generally thought that it's better to have a bitch spayed after having had a season, something to do with the hormones I think? And then your vet would advise you to wait until she was midway between seasons before carrying out the op. So for example if your bitch had a season at 6 months, then the next one would be roughly 12 months so the spay should be done at about 9 months old.

Hope this helps a bit.

Oh and someone saying that it would benefit your bitch by having a litter before getting spayed is a load of old twoddle IMO!
I would also say that Rips advice is correct. It used to be said (many moons ago that it was better to let a bitch have a litter 1st) definately NOT TRUE in fact statistics suggest quite the opposite for protecting your bitch. I'm sure I read some excellent details regarding the benefits by Shadow Boxer. I'm sure she would advise you, along with many others soon.

Kath XX
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2