View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-07-2006, 04:46 PM
Sorry you're no further foward then Katie, but fingers crossed it's what the vet thought in the first place, but you've just got to play that awful waiting game over the week-end now. Hope she's doing ok and not in too much pain, and not too hot and bothered either, it's awful for them this weather.
Katiecoos
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-07-2006, 04:51 PM
Originally Posted by Helena54
Sorry you're no further foward then Katie, but fingers crossed it's what the vet thought in the first place, but you've just got to play that awful waiting game over the week-end now. Hope she's doing ok and not in too much pain, and not too hot and bothered either, it's awful for them this weather.

Yes this is one weekend I want to get over and done with, and everything being fine at the end of it hopefully. She is sitting with my husband with a pillow under her chin with a ceiling fan and a fan on the table blowing on her.
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-07-2006, 04:56 PM
we all really hope it isn't but age isn't a factor I think Jodee will know who I mean CH MI was 10 when diagnosed....

lets all hope thats things are ok
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-07-2006, 04:58 PM
this illness usually shows in dogs about 2 years old

if only this were true...IF ONLY we wish we might not have such a big problem with breeding
Katiecoos
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-07-2006, 04:58 PM
Originally Posted by Inca
we all really hope it isn't but age isn't a factor I think Jodee will know who I mean CH MI was 10 when diagnosed....

lets all hope thats things are ok

Yes keeping fingers crossed
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-07-2006, 05:00 PM
are you saying Katie should ask for an MRI scan possibly, to determine whether or not she does have it?

its the only sure way of knowing .......pedigree background can give an indication of any effected dogs and carriers are in the lineage...

yes Katie we all hope aqll is well ....we really do
Katiecoos
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-07-2006, 09:07 AM
Just thought I would let everyone know that Daisy is quite a bit better this morning. We have only had one squeak when she tried to attempt the stairs. I have to keep shutting her behind doors to stop her. She has been moving around quite a bit even though I am trying to keep her rested, she insists on following me everywhere. She is holding her head up more and looks brighter generally. So fingers cross this is going to turn out to be soft tissue damage rather than anything more sinister.
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-07-2006, 09:14 AM
lets hope the painkiller is working ..i didn't realise she was given morphine by the vet that would certainly have made her feel groggy

am home all day if you get hold of her pedigree
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-07-2006, 09:15 AM
Originally Posted by Helena54
Jodee, and the treatment Daisy has had, is also applicable for numerous other conditions, such as the soft tissue injuries, etc. etc.

I didn't know that vet's are incapable of diagnosing certain conditions that maybe they have never come across, no I didn't know that, I thought they would have been taught about every conceivable illness/condition associated with animals when they were doing their studies. So when Daisy is taken back to the vets and seems better on the medication she has been given, are you saying Katie should ask for an MRI scan possibly, to determine whether or not she does have it? It might be an idea to do this I think under the circumstances, as this seems to be becomming quite a commonplace illness from what you have said? Or would you say that when she goes back to the vet with Daisy and the vet is happy that it's all cleared up because it was in fact a soft tissue injury, she should leave it at that? After all, if it aint broke.......
SHM isn't something every vet will have experience of & like the local vet who has"never seen SHM"in an animal he has treated there are other illnesses that have similar symptoms, but especially with Cavaliers were it is an increasing problem, because of close inbreeding(sometimes off the pedigree)to known carriers/sufferers it should be at least discussed

There is a reduced cost MRI scheme for cavaliers & it is something I would consider.

SHM dogs are not always in constant pain & there are things that an owner can do to reduce the incidence of occurances of periods of pain. So simply to disregard SHM as a cause because the symptoms clear up(in your words "if it ain't broke ...)is a bit short sighted. Better prevent pain than have to treat again & see your pet in agony.

Little things like raised food & water dishes, harness instead of collar can help

She also said that it was unlikely to be SM in a dog of Daisy`s age, and this illness usually shows in dogs about 2 years old
It can manifest from under 6 months of age upwards, Loukar's father was 2 + & like Inca wrote another well known dog was 10. A friends dog was 4 & his brother was 3 when the symptoms started. My vet has treated & referred dogs of a range of ages. Geoff Skerritt operated on a dog in the USA of 6 whose symptoms manifested at 5 !

Being a polygenetic it is highly complex & not a simple diagnosis at all(Loukar's father's MRI wasn't conclusive BTW)

Hope Daisy continues to improve & is out of pain
Katiecoos
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-07-2006, 09:18 AM
Originally Posted by JoedeeUK
SHM isn't something every vet will have experience of & like the local vet who has"never seen SHM"in an animal he has treated there are other illnesses that have similar symptoms, but especially with Cavaliers were it is an increasing problem, because of close inbreeding(sometimes off the pedigree)to known carriers/sufferers it should be at least discussed

There is a reduced cost MRI scheme for cavaliers & it is something I would consider.

SHM dogs are not always in constant pain & there are things that an owner can do to reduce the incidence of occurances of periods of pain. So simply to disregard SHM as a cause because the symptoms clear up(in your words "if it ain't broke ...)is a bit short sighted. Better prevent pain than have to treat again & see your pet in agony.

Little things like raised food & water dishes, harness instead of collar can help
Will certainly bear this in mind
Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >