Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Katiecoos
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-07-2006, 11:39 AM

Daisy CKCS has trouble with her neck or shoulder

Had to take Daisy to the vets this morning. Now and again she lets out a loud yelp. I am sure it is connected to her neck or shoulder but really not too sure and neither was the vet. She fully examined her and she didn`t let out one yelp, but I am sure she is so afraid at the vets that she bottles her pain inside. When she is at home sometimes she only has to move her head slightly and she will yelp and then is very unhappy and finds a corner to hide. It is so upsetting to see her like this. She was awake most of the night sitting up rather than lying down. The vet has given her an injection of pain killers and anti-inflamatory which should last her for nearly 2 days and she has given her rymadyl to start taking on Sunday night. The vet is hoping it is soft tissue damage and she will feel better by tomorrow if not then she will have to have an xray in the week or possibly even a scan. Has anyone else had an experience like this with their dog.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-07-2006, 12:04 PM
Awww sorry to hear about Daisy, and yes, I had this with Georgie, but I deduced that it was because he had run under a low fence and clipped the top of his shoulders/neck hitting the top rail. It soon cleared up within a couple of days after the vet gave him exactly what you've had. He also couldn't walk in a circle to the right? I knew exactly what he'd done, because Cassie had done the same thing years earlier, but once bitten twice shy, she has never done it since! Try not to worry too much Katie, I'm sure that's what Daisy has done, she has probably knocked it, or stopped suddenly and jarred it, etc. etc.

In case I get slated, I would like to add that I am NOT a vet, I am just giving advice on this and comparing it to what has happened to me in the past!!!! I am not saying this is what Daisy has done! Well you can't be too careful on here can ya!
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-07-2006, 12:28 PM
sorry to have to post this but i think you should read up on syringomyelia ..any cavalier with neck pain would worry me hun .....

www.cavalier.co.uk
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-07-2006, 12:30 PM
there is info on there about MRI scanning

do hope its nothing to do with this xxx
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-07-2006, 12:38 PM
SHM was my first thought too

There are the classic symptoms of neck & shoulder pain(not always constant BTW), the scratching at nothing when excited, head being tilted & dogs that have SHM can have all or none of these.

My Loukar's father was PTS under three years of age as he was in so much pain.

Loukar has been MRI scanned & sadly he too has SHM but fortunately as yet he has no symptoms-he will never be bred from of course as SHM is genetic & involved possibly three separate genes. Dogs who have a parent or sibling with should never be bred from(that's the veterinary advice BTW)
Trixybird
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-07-2006, 01:10 PM
Kate sorry to read about Daisy, sounds like the little girl is suffering, hopefully the vet can get to the bottom of this really quickly. Sending you both hugs xxx
chelsea
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-07-2006, 02:15 PM
Kate so sorry to hear about Daisy i really hope its nothing to bad let me know how she gets on wont you.
Katiecoos
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-07-2006, 02:16 PM
Originally Posted by Inca
sorry to have to post this but i think you should read up on syringomyelia ..any cavalier with neck pain would worry me hun .....

www.cavalier.co.uk

Have clicked on the link Inca, but it is taking me to Cavalier Marketing (business gifts) but have done a google search on syringomylia and have read about this awful illness. I have had a look for Daisy`s pedigree, but cant seem to find it, wonder if it maybe at my daughters house who is out at the moment, but will get back to that.

Thanks everyone for your concern, it is very worrying and I am hoping against hope that she hasn`t got this syringomylia. Will keep you informed.
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-07-2006, 02:26 PM
http://www.cavaliers.co.uk/

sorry
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-07-2006, 02:36 PM
You can read about SHM here
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 > Last »