View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Tan
Dogsey Junior
Female 

28-06-2006, 09:55 PM
I'd be wary of adding supplements to a complete food. My understanding of complete is 'balanced' and that's always going to be for the 'average' dog, I suppose, in the same way that we think of a balanced diet.
An excess of vitamins and minerals might be less than healthy (it is for humans and they are a larger body weight)
he original question was about raw snacks, and a snack to me is an extra to the main meal. I use raw carrot which our dog loves - it's crunchy and sweet and 100% natural. In fact she'll eat several types of veg, particularly cabbage and broccoli!
Christine
Dogsey Veteran

29-06-2006, 06:40 AM
Way to go V :smt041 :smt038

Heres a link might help you, info on what you can add

http://www.dogaware.com/dogfeeding.html
Tan
Dogsey Junior
Female 

29-06-2006, 06:57 AM
Wow, someone's done their homework on that site!
Thanks
Luz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-07-2006, 08:54 PM
How's it going Vicki?
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-07-2006, 09:24 PM
Hi Laura,

I do feel a twit - I went shopping "just very quickly" for a couple of bits, and forgot the friggin' wings - senile dementia has arrived. I write shopping lists and leave the damn things at home. When I got back in, there was the list with two very important items that I had missed - dog food and chicken wings/pieces.

I'm buying them this Friday (honest) and I'll let you know how they take to them. I'll start by giving them one each a day and see how we go......

Thanks for asking honey xx
Luz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-07-2006, 01:03 PM
Something I would do Vicki .Good luck.
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-07-2006, 08:29 PM
Was out on site today, so just happened to pass the large Sainsbury's and nipped in.

Well, went to the fresh cabinet, as wanted to try the dogs out on a chicken wing when I got home. Aren't they incredibly cheap? The "Basics" range - 10 chicken wings - grade a quality - 86p........ I could hardly believe my eyes. Bought two packs and hurried home. Frozen looked dearer to me.

Put three on a plate and all three dogs showed great interest as I carried them into the garden.

Mya, who's had raw before, whizzed through hers quite quickly (I actually sneaked her another one - well three into ten doesn't go does it?) crunching away on the bones nicely.

Roxy also made pretty short work of hers too, munch, crunch, yum, yum.

Lennon - well, as he's the man of the house, he got the largest one. It took him the longest of all three to eat it but he eventually got there.

Naturally, I stayed with them while they ate them - there were no problems.

Now, of course, I am queen of everything and revered by all the four legged hairies in my house.

I've decided to give one or maybe two daily. Certainly one in the morning about 7am. I leave for work at 8.15, and am a bit worried in case anything "goes wrong" after I leave - is that likely if they've eaten them over an hour previously?

Thanks all - great advice you all gave and my dogs are sooo happy!
werewolf
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-07-2006, 09:37 PM
Vicki glad the raw chicken was such a success we started our dogs on the odd chicken wings and slowly it turned into a full barf diet!!
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-07-2006, 06:02 AM
Oh rats! I wish I had better news, but I don't. Poor Lennon has a squitty bum. He got me up in the night for a walk (he won't go in the garden ) and this morning when I came down, he'd had a not-so-little accident in the lounge.

He's off his breakfast, and has just curled up on the rug and gone to sleep.

The "girls" are fine.

Looks like I'll have to give up....... ??

Jagged Edge
New Member!
Female 

07-07-2006, 10:08 AM
Don't give up yet! It may be totally unrelated. I went onto BARF (not personally) but my GSD from 6 mths old. She is now 2 and my BC has always been on BARF he is a year old. My GSD had no end of silly niggly problems, squits, ear infections, itchy skin etc before BARF. I have never looked back. Mine have tripe, minced lamb, beef, chicken wings, oxtail if I can get hold of them cheap, cottage cheese, yoghurt, oily fish in tomato sauce, scrambled egg, wholemeal bread, veg (grated). They love the diet. My GSD was always a very picky eater... not any more. Tripe is good if they have the squits as is cottage cheese. If I ever think they have a bit of bone stuck, usually the BC as he is a gobbler, then a slice of bread or a whole carrot usually helps. Persevere. It doesn't take much longer and your dogs will love you forever!
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >