Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-06-2006, 01:59 PM

Can I give raw snacks

I currently feed my three JSI's on either Naturediet (when I can get all varieties) or Butchers.

I would like to give them each a raw chicken wing now and again. Can anyone see any problems with this?

I'd really like to feed raw totally, but just don't have the time.
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

28-06-2006, 02:35 PM
Don't see why not,maybe give them a couple each for their breakfast,or a supper snack.
jess
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-06-2006, 02:40 PM
I woudl see it as giving real food occasionally and your butchers as the snack!!

There is not problem giving real food occasionally as long as the dog can cope with it and isn't a gobbler, so chews up the bones good and proper. Of course dogs know what they need and know what is good so if it isn't coming regularly you may find that they are in a rush to get it down them.
I feed naturediet too when i am having a night off, and i like it alot. In fact why not just feed that with some SA37 and bonemeal and only give the butchers occasionally??
Greyhawk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-06-2006, 02:42 PM
Originally Posted by Vicki
I currently feed my three JSI's on either Naturediet (when I can get all varieties) or Butchers.

I would like to give them each a raw chicken wing now and again. Can anyone see any problems with this?
Personally I can't see a problem with it. Normally you are advised not to feed complete (dried) and raw in the same meal due to the fact they have different digestion rates. However, I notice that you feed a moist complete so I would have no problems in giving them a chicken wing as a treat every now and then.
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-06-2006, 02:47 PM
Thanks all - I'll get some in.......they'll be chuffed
Greyhawk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-06-2006, 02:51 PM
Originally Posted by jess
I feed naturediet too when i am having a night off, and i like it alot. In fact why not just feed that with some SA37 and bonemeal and only give the butchers occasionally??
Can I just ask why you would add bonemeal and SA37 to NatureDiet? NatureDiet is a complete food and as such there is no need to add further supplements.
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-06-2006, 02:53 PM
Originally Posted by Greyhawk
Can I just ask why you would add bonemeal and SA37 to NatureDiet? NatureDiet is a complete food and as such there is no need to add further supplements.
That bemused me too.......
jess
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-06-2006, 03:25 PM
you working for Naturediet or something?

Please define 'complete and balanced' i really hate that term.
To me it means containing every single piece of vitamin and mineral you will ever need, including the right amount of protein carbs and fat in one meal !!! if it doesn't sound crazy enough, try getting your head round the fact that each individual dog or human needs a different amount to the next dog or human, and not one single person on this planet can tell you what that exact ratio is. Impossible. Therefore claims of complete and balanced are lies as well as misleading.
SA37 is a supplement, but it is also a filler. Filling in bits that might be needed by the body that we don't even know is needed. It's (my) failsafe supplement. And I am NOT big on supplementing. I wish there was a SA37 for people, just to know that I am not missing minerals myself!

Please take this as lighthearted I am not getting at you, but there is no such thing as complete and balanced!

For the record I don't give it everyday, just once or twice a week, and bonemeal whenever I don't have bones, or forgot to defrost them (they don't get bones everyday either).

Luz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-06-2006, 04:17 PM
I totally agree with doing so Vicki, I give my two wings, carcass', thighs, drumsticks all raw every day. Even frozen if I have forgotten to take them out of the freezer (last a bit longer too) I buy a bag of chicken portions from either Asda or Tesco which are great value.
Just in case I pour boiling hot water over them incase of any bacteria first.
Its great for their teeth as well. Bet they will love them too.
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-06-2006, 04:56 PM
Can't wait to get some now - they adore chicken, so I'll get some wings, and thighs - maybe this will be the start of raw..........
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >