View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
crazycockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-06-2006, 06:06 PM
I for one am happy with Burns foods, the vitamin may be dangerous to humans, but dogs are made differently from us, which is why they eat dog food we don't.

My girls have been on Burns for 4 years now and are in tip top condition, I bet every manufacturer have ingredients in their foods that's not listed on the bags.

It's probably somebody scaremongering, jealous of the success of Burns.

How many of you are still eating Cadburys chocolate......lol.
lisa0307
Dogsey Senior
Female 

26-06-2006, 06:08 PM
Either way it does make you think...
lisa0307
Dogsey Senior
Female 

26-06-2006, 06:10 PM
Originally Posted by sweetmimi
Well I have just posted on there again lets see if this fiona comes back and if not I will be e mailing her tonight. seems that she put the threat on poppys original post as well .

She won't get back to you tonight hun as they only reply during office hours...you'll get an answer tomorrow as they always reply to posts on a daily basis.
Carole
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

26-06-2006, 06:19 PM
It is added to Nutro too and no doubt loads more food have it added.
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-06-2006, 06:29 PM
Originally Posted by Carole
It is added to Nutro too and no doubt loads more food have it added.
thanks carole .......
duboing
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-06-2006, 06:34 PM
I do hope Burns are taking this claim seriously and are reviewing other sources of vitamin K, however, before you black-list this supplement altogether, I think there are a few things you ought to consider:

1. The citations on that anti-menadione website are translated and taken out of the context of the original research, so we can't really make any judgements without reading the full papers.

2. Human biochemistry is NOT the same as canine biochemistry, and really there is no point in guessing that a chemical harmful to humans is going to be harmful to dogs, this can only be proven by scientific analysis.

3. Some of the natural sources of vitamin K listed on the website are not without their own risks. Blue-green algae AKA cyanobacteria, can produce chemicals highly toxic to humans at least. Natural does not always mean safe, some of the most potent poisons have natural origin, take digitalin, opium and arsenic as examples.

4. Finally, we don't really know whether we are talking about toxicity at low concentrations or at minute concentrations. Most vitamins and minerals have upper and lower bounds on safe consumption: too little vitamin C makes you ill, too much vitamin C also makes you ill.

I'm not saying that Burns are right to use this stuff. Certainly they should take more interest in their customers concerns and be less averse to scrutiny. I just want to make the point that it is possible that this supplement might not be as bad as you think, there are scaremongers about...
Carole
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

26-06-2006, 06:35 PM
If you do a search there are quite a lot of foods that add it So its not just Burns.

Im quite happy to still feed my 2 Burns as they do really well on it
lisa0307
Dogsey Senior
Female 

26-06-2006, 06:41 PM
Just a pity that they add this to their foods then push the "holistic" thing so much...they say...."Burns Real Food was possibly the first UK produced pet food to be free of artificial preservatives, colours and flavourings". so that's a statement made by them that's untrue...how can they say it?
sweetmimi
Dogsey Junior
Female 

26-06-2006, 07:02 PM
Lisa I agree with you Lots of people will still give Burns to their pets and thats their choice and that is fine but what worries me most is the threat of libel on there I dont see any need for that if they are not hiding something and why put this VitK in at all if their food is supposed to be "all natural" does not make sense to me at all I think too much of my dogs to take any chances no matter how slight the risk Others may not agree with me but that is where I am coming from. I dont like her attitude on that forum at all as one minute she says she has had a word with Burns and they are taking it out of their food and the next minute she is threatening people Sorry but that dont wash with me she is too much on the defensive and that tells me they have something to hide.And another point why is this not listed on the ingredients if its a low dose and so safe for animals
lisa0307
Dogsey Senior
Female 

26-06-2006, 07:09 PM
Exactly my point...if they didn't push the "all natural" so much and listed it in the ingredients then most would be ok with it..it's the fact that people buy Burns because they are told by them that feeding your dog Burns will give them a diet without the need for additives and then they put in unnatural additives without us knowing. Goes against the grain in my way of thinking...
Page 3 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »