View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-05-2011, 06:24 AM
It is slightly OT but I do think allowing dogs to go to strangers that haven't asked for contact with the 'they are only saying hello' attitude is just as bad as people who allow their offlead dogs to run up to onlead ones and say ' it's okay they are only being friendly!'

None of us are perfect though and a certain
Minxy lady ended up in the middle if a group of youthes who were lying on the grass, chatting and enjoying the sunshine. She ended up on her back getting belly rubs..... She is a tart.

Seriously, Tango is very friendly, but she licks, so we do have to watch her when we are out with her,said youthes encouraged contact. I mentioned it to lighten things!!! also to make the ppint about her licking, it is potentiallyblife threatening for some people and against their beliefs for others. Just takes a bit of commin courtesy to avoid that.
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

10-05-2011, 07:38 AM
Originally Posted by Ramble View Post
She couldn't Azz , the cleansing routine is more intense than that. The dog shouldn't have been anywhere near her, it's easy enough to do, it's about respect.
I never let mine go to someone unless it's clear the person wants contact. When we had the pups I went out of my way to ensure they couldn't get to people unless I was ok and they were, with contact and that was a hugely important part of their training as well.
Aside from the religion issue , some people do not like dogs, some people are allergic to them. One if my close friends is hugely allergic to dogs and uf a dog touched her she would be really ill. She isn't alone.
I am hugely allergic to cats,I spent the day in a house with 4 of them on Saturday. Despite my antihistamine I ended up wheezy, itchy eyed and sneezing. I didn't touch them and I really wanted to, but if I had done I would have become worse instantly, my skin would end up covered in hives and I would have had to go home. It's that bad. How unfair is it to assume it's okay for a dog to touch someone?
Generally speaking, quite a well put principle.

Not relevant to akitagirl's story though, as that was about a deaf man whom took his assistance dog to a preaarranged meeting with the council regarding his deaf issues, involving councillors whom knew why he was their and presumably that he is accompanied by an assistance dog.

The onus was on this councillor before the meeting to raise her issue and set guildelines for the meeting accordingly.
After all, she is a council official, she should know her employer is full of policies regarding cultural inclusion, health and safety, work place practices, etc, etc.
In other words, she has loads of rights at work and her employer is more than happy to accomodate them.

This story isnt an issue of religious rights at all, its just an issue of an individual whom decided not to make use of her head and mouth, and consequently committed an act of animal cruelty.

Therefore, your principle of people should ask before dogs say hello to strangers is correct, but in this context that is trumped by the principle that people should take responsibility for themselves and speak up.
Neither principle anything to do with religion or culture, they both apply equally to everyone.

talking critically about muslim culture isnt racism either, islam isnt a race.
otherwise i have been a right royal racist the last few threads i made criticising christianity
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-05-2011, 07:49 AM
Originally Posted by Ramble View Post
It was wrong to kick the dog, it was also wrong to allow the dog to get that close to her, it's about mutual respect.
Maybe the hearing person was sitting next to the person who kicked the dog. All they had to do was say they didnt like the dog being so close & ask for its removal. Simple

After all it wasnt a pet, it was a working dog....
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

10-05-2011, 07:51 AM
Originally Posted by Velvetboxers View Post
Maybe the hearing person was sitting next to the person who kicked the dog. All they had to do was say they didnt like the dog being so close & ask for its removal. Simple

After all it wasnt a pet, it was a working dog....
exackery
Kerriebaby
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-05-2011, 08:00 AM
hmmm...Halal is so very cruel and wrong, and "our" way of raising meat is so good that we need

http://www.chickenout.tv/about-campaign.html

and

http://www.jamieoliver.com/bacon/pigwelfare

IMHO until we get "our" meat production industry and "our" desire for cheap meat views changed "we" have absolutely no room to comment on how other nations treat their animals

How many people here eat mass produced chickens, eggs, buy the cheapest beef mince, have no qualms about eating cheap bacon?
Swisbey
Dogsey Junior
Female 

10-05-2011, 08:10 AM
That is just so disgusting. This country needs to keep "British" and animal lovers.
Kerriebaby
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-05-2011, 08:13 AM
Im sorry, Animal Lovers? If that is the case then why do we need so many animal charities? why do we have dogs being set alight? Starved? used for fighting?
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

10-05-2011, 08:25 AM
Originally Posted by Kerriebaby View Post
hmmm...Halal is so very cruel and wrong, and "our" way of raising meat is so good that we need http://www.chickenout.tv/about-campaign.html

and

http://www.jamieoliver.com/bacon/pigwelfare

IMHO until we get "our" meat production industry and "our" desire for cheap meat views changed "we" have absolutely no room to comment on how other nations treat their animalsHow many people here eat mass produced chickens, eggs, buy the cheapest beef mince, have no qualms about eating cheap bacon?
I agree, there is a still a long way to go to "fix" our animal (food chain) welfare, but two wrong dont make a right.

The more legalisation that is set down for slaughter and rearing of our food chain meat the better.

But that must include EVERY aspect, and EVERY culture in this Country, we cant complain about "fixing" "our" way and ignore "other" ways.

Halal slaughter should fall under the same UK /European law with the rest the Country.

We are not comparing "other nations" and how they do things, we cant control the worlds populations animal welfare.

We are talking "this nation" and its animal welfare.

As for the question on what we buy.........yes I buy organic, I get my eggs from a farm (free range) I dont buy cheap cuts of meat, I go out of my way to try and buy ethical meat.
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

10-05-2011, 08:30 AM
Originally Posted by Swisbey View Post
That is just so disgusting. This country needs to keep "British" and animal lovers.
very amusing
Kerriebaby
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-05-2011, 08:32 AM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
I agree, there is a still a long way to go to "fix" our animal (food chain) welfare, but two wrong dont make a right.

The more legalisation that is set down for slaughter and rearing of our food chain meat the better.

But that must include EVERY aspect, and EVERY culture in this Country, we cant complain about "fixing" "our" way and ignore "other" ways.

Halal slaughter should fall under the same UK /European law with the rest the Country.

We are not comparing "other nations" and how they do things, we cant control the worlds populations animal welfare.

We are talking "this nation" and its animal welfare.

As for the question on what we buy.........yes I buy organic, I get my eggs from a farm (free range) I dont buy cheap cuts of meat, I go out of my way to try and buy ethical meat.
But this nation isnt what some think it is..animal lovers? Nope.

I agree two wrongs do not make a right, however, can we preach about what others two when our home is a mess!?
Page 11 of 41 « First < 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 21 > Last »