Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-02-2011, 03:25 PM
Originally Posted by Adam Palmer View Post
That can be one of the issues with reward training a high drive dog, when you move onto variable reward the dog becomes slightly frustrated at the inconsitency which makes him try harder |(great for us) but can also have fall out.
Not if used properly
Reisu
Almost a Veteran
Female 

21-02-2011, 05:56 PM
Doubt it, you just work as low as they need you too.

Adam
Would have to be low enough that he could sleep through it for him

I can imagine that a dog who cannot figure out how to remove a 'stim' would be a lot more frustrated than a dog who couldn't figure out how to get a treat... Just don't see the point in causing any kind of discomfort when it only takes a bit more patience to do it in a way that is fun for everyone. Obviously the dogs do not enjoy being 'stimmed'.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-02-2011, 05:59 PM
Is this the new e-collar thread then?
Adam P
Almost a Veteran
Male 

21-02-2011, 06:23 PM
Originally Posted by Reisu View Post
Would have to be low enough that he could sleep through it for him

I can imagine that a dog who cannot figure out how to remove a 'stim' would be a lot more frustrated than a dog who couldn't figure out how to get a treat... Just don't see the point in causing any kind of discomfort when it only takes a bit more patience to do it in a way that is fun for everyone. Obviously the dogs do not enjoy being 'stimmed'.
No, he deals with physical aversives everyday that cause him to alter his behaviour in some way without yelping.

Adam
Adam P
Almost a Veteran
Male 

21-02-2011, 06:24 PM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
Is this the new e-collar thread then?
E collars mentioned in the first post.

They are an aversive training aid.

Adam
Adam P
Almost a Veteran
Male 

21-02-2011, 09:41 PM
Using an e collar on a fearful dog.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9NI93pPStTQ

Adam
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-02-2011, 09:52 PM
Many dogs won't be especially motivated by what you have.
You can use deprivation to make them more motivated (which will have fallout ect) or you can increase motivation in other ways.

Even with a motivated dog it seems to take months to get a reliableish recall around distractions.
I can have a reliable recall around distractions in a few hours. Then the owner practises for a while and I come back and we do another sesison around high distractions.

If needed we can run the sessions together and get a reliable recall around high distractions within 3 or 4 hours.
Adam
Me too, with food, a clicker (or not), A flexi & a long line. 4 hours....piece of P*ss ,
Dawes Paws
Dogsey Senior
Female 

21-02-2011, 10:00 PM
Using an e collar on a fearful dog.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9NI93pPStTQ

Adam
fearful dog, FORCED into a situation, YES forced as if it doesnt comply it gets zapped!! even at the end of the vid, dog is still panting, therefore STRESSED, when she displays the "right" behaviour she gets no toy or treat as a reward, the reward she DOES get is to move away from the bins, so completely counter-productive!!

why cant you actually give your OWN experiences rather than just pinching stuff from the DW and youtube vids and actually LEARN some stuff for yourself?!
Adam P
Almost a Veteran
Male 

21-02-2011, 10:04 PM
Originally Posted by mishflynn View Post
Me too, with food, a clicker (or not), A flexi & a long line. 4 hours....piece of P*ss ,
Then chuck some sheep/rabbits/cats in, what happens then?

Adam
Adam P
Almost a Veteran
Male 

21-02-2011, 10:04 PM
Originally Posted by Dawes Paws View Post
fearful dog, FORCED into a situation, YES forced as if it doesnt comply it gets zapped!! even at the end of the vid, dog is still panting, therefore STRESSED, when she displays the "right" behaviour she gets no toy or treat as a reward, the reward she DOES get is to move away from the bins, so completely counter-productive!!

why cant you actually give your OWN experiences rather than just pinching stuff from the DW and youtube vids and actually LEARN some stuff for yourself?!
I've learned plenty. May not be what you want but so what lol.

Adam
Page 23 of 38 « First < 13 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 33 > Last »