Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Trish
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-05-2006, 12:56 PM

Take care with UV bulbs.....

Kev bought a UV bulb from our local garden centre yesterday to put in the pond filter - stops algae.

He has been up all night in pain, we were at A&E by 8.30am this morning where they put 2 types of drops in for him - local anaesthetic and one to stop the spasms, and a strong oral pain killer. Basically he has burnt eyes.(He will make a full recovery), he is now sleeping as he is very very tired. It is like snow blindness/ark eye (welders will know this).

The box the tube (bulb) came in has no warning at all, the only warning is on the tube itself in tiny letters. OK, so maybe he should have taken more care, but it didn't seem that bright. It didn't hurt until hours later - put the bulb in at tea-time, he got up in pain at just gone midnight. He didn't look at it for ages, just long enough to make sure it was in the right place, and a couple of checks to make sure it was working.

The hospital were really good. Pretty much seen straight away, the doctor would have provided an eye patch to stop dust going in had it been one eye, but being both he said it would be safer to wear sunglasses.

An important lesson learnt the hard way.

We will be saying something to the garden centre at the very least.
griff
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-05-2006, 01:02 PM
i hope his eyes are soon better there should be a warning on the box i think you are right to say something at the garden centre
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-05-2006, 01:09 PM
Originally Posted by Trish
We will be saying something to the garden centre at the very least.

Hope he feels better soon

Unless the garden centre makes the bulbs, there is no point telling them I don't think.
You are better phoning up the manefacturers.
All the garden centre has done is bought a product to sell
Trish
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-05-2006, 03:16 PM
Thankyou for the kind wishes.

We will tell the garden centre so they are aware, and will also be making contact with the manufacturer.

He's now watching Star Wars - with sunglasses on! Keeps dozing off, at least I think so as his head keeps drooping!
Trish
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-05-2006, 04:45 PM
I asked Kev where the packaging was so he went and got it from the garage. As he walked back in he said "OK so there was a warning. Ooops."

That'll teach him to read things properly!