View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-07-2006, 11:57 PM

Chicken drumsticks, are they safe to feed raw?

So far Isla has had a couple of chicken thighs to get her started on the raw food thing. Now she loved these and were gone in about 10 minutes.

Just wondering though if drumsticks would be ok too, it's just I'm sure I remember someone once saying you shouldn't feed them as the bones are too big or something?

Any thoughts?
angelmist
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-07-2006, 04:26 AM
Their fine, I give my dogs these all the time and have never had a problem.

I stopped giving chicken wings as my dogs had a habit of practically inhailing them & being small couldn't really hold onto them without having my hands bitten so changed to chicken drumsticks/legs whilst I taught them how to chew, I can't get hold of chicken wings now anyway so have stuck with chicken drumsticks and they seem to be fine.
Christine
Dogsey Veteran

23-07-2006, 06:27 AM
Yep they`re fine I only fed wings to my pups, as soon as they were big enough to handle them they got drumsticks, thighs, then moved on to whole legs, breast with wing, half a chicken then whole chicken

Unfortunately I can`t get the small chickens anymore so make it up by giving 2 halves
Radar Ears
Dogsey Senior
Female 

23-07-2006, 12:43 PM
Hi All,

Don't forget that the chicken drumstick has that lethal bone in it that is as sharp as a needle.

I was always told that dogs shouldn't have chicken bones of any sort.
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-07-2006, 12:44 PM
Thanks!

Christine, I'm starting to wonder if the chicken wings are a bit small as even at 10 weeks old she's gobbling the thighs down the little heifer!

Not that I'm complaining like!
Louise13
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-07-2006, 12:47 PM
Originally Posted by Radar Ears
Hi All,

We were ALL taught that.. but they missed out the VITAL word...

COOKED.. don't ever give COOKED chicken bones
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-07-2006, 12:49 PM
Originally Posted by Radar Ears
Hi All,

Don't forget that the chicken drumstick has that lethal bone in it that is as sharp as a needle.

Yep Louise is right, chicken bones of any sort are only lethal when COOKED not raw! Raw bones are in fact soft.
Luz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-07-2006, 02:34 PM
Yes I give mine every bit of a chicken raw and love it. I have given them a whole chicken once and you would of thought by the look on their faces I had killed it myself They prefer it in bits. Spoilt brats!
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-07-2006, 02:38 PM
Originally Posted by Ripsnorterthe2nd
Thanks!

Christine, I'm starting to wonder if the chicken wings are a bit small as even at 10 weeks old she's gobbling the thighs down the little heifer!

Not that I'm complaining like!
Hiya, hope you don't mind me saying but, I was told that any gobbling of raw bones isn't good - I believe it is this that may cause problems, as the dog has to chew them well before swallowing.

I'm no expert but have heard this several times and have just read the article in this month's Dogs Today about raw feeding...
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-07-2006, 03:00 PM
Originally Posted by Wysiwyg
Hiya, hope you don't mind me saying but, I was told that any gobbling of raw bones isn't good - I believe it is this that may cause problems, as the dog has to chew them well before swallowing.

I'm no expert but have heard this several times and have just read the article in this month's Dogs Today about raw feeding...
Of course she's not literally gobbling them down, she's only 10 weeks old and the thighs are the size of her head! I was joking!

I read the article in DT too, but to be honest I think she only had her self to blame (although of course it's terrible that she lost her dog due to it). I personally wouldn't feed such small body parts to an adult dog, like you say bones should be chewed and many adult (medium sized) dogs don't do this. Just shows it pays to do your research, before you feed raw.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >