View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-03-2005, 12:00 PM
Hey hey - that looks fun - I have often thought about doing something similar wqith bruno - but his tendency to chase small furry things, birds, cats ,dogs - I think I would be slightly out of control and would do myself some serious injury.

I would love to go on the bike with him too - but we tried it once and he just kept going in front of the bike and causing me to keep braking and then he woudl run away !!! Little devil !!!

Bruno gets 45 mins in morning and afternoon and then gets off the lead at night with OH. At the weekend though he gets a good 1- 1/2 hrs walk per day on top of this when we go up the hills/down the beach/ito the woods ( anywhere different)

It does quite tedious going to the park - which is the closest thing to us -so we tend to split park with golf course time.

He loves it when he goes up the hills though. I am lucky though cos bruno doesnt destroy at all - he just gets hyper and whingy if I havent take him out.

Dani
Archaeopath
Almost a Veteran
Female 

11-03-2005, 12:09 PM
Mo, you have some absolutely beautiful dogs there!! I wish I could do summat like that with Satchmo.

Becs
mo
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-03-2005, 12:09 PM
Brundog this is a springer for having your dog run at the SIDE of your bikehttp://www.springerusa.com/

MO
jess
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-03-2005, 12:42 PM
no i dont like that springer thing, what happens if the dog is tired, or hurts itself, you wouldnt know... until its too late.

whats wrong with just letting it run by your side/behind? (i dont bike on roads.)

MO, what BEAUTIFUL pups! thats what they are meant to do, i am pleased that they are getting to 'work'. too many people get these dogs and dont understand that they need loads and loads of exercise....

can you tell me where you get harnesses from? jaz pulls me in my buggy (originally for kiting) but i dont like doing it, as it puts strain on his neck...the harnesses over the back should be alot safer...?
mo
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-03-2005, 01:22 PM
Got my harnesses from Culpeppershttp://www.culpeppers.co.uk/list.php?category=Harnesses
the side springer is fine have run my dogs with them for years, you dont have the problem with them getting caught in front wheel, and you can keep an eye on them if they get tired, plus I hook a lead to their collar and this helps them from wandering over to the side basically its like them running alonside you while you are jogging, I dont go too fast I let the dogs set the pace to go at and adjust speed accordingly. Malamutes cannot be trusted to just run at your side or behind, ask any malamutes owner and they will tell you the same
Mo
abbymum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

11-03-2005, 01:43 PM
Beautiful dogs and its look like so much fun
jess
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-03-2005, 03:11 PM
thanks for that, i will take a look.
yeah i guess some breeds would be better suited to the springer, if you dont pedal, do they pull?
olive
Almost a Veteran
Female 

11-03-2005, 04:02 PM
Olive gets about 2 hours fast walking and about 20 mins sprinting on the lead with me. Unfortunately Olive isn't great off lead, during the week we keep her on lead but at the weekend we take her up the hills for off lead exercise, however she probably walks faster on lead than off lead - to many things to be sniffed and piddled on when off lead .
katyb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-03-2005, 06:48 PM
mo that looks fab but if we did that it would be me running and max sitting on the bike!
mo
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-03-2005, 07:25 PM
Jess its a mixture of the two, at first the dog pulls a lot, then slows to a steady gait, when it comes to inclines I help my peddling, but when on the flat,natual motion plus dog slightly pulling aids you along, I just have to watch Bailey in case he decideds to take a leak, and have to stop suddenly.

Mo
Page 6 of 7 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 >