View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Dalmonda
Dogsey Senior
Female 

20-02-2006, 06:50 PM

Advertising For overweight dogs to be on channel 4 comedy series!!!!!

Hi all,

I have just been made aware of a post on another forum. Basically it was from a television company advertising for overweight dogs to appear in a comedy/entertainment series for channel 4.

Personally i think this is disgusting. I dont think overweight dogs are funny or entertaining. What will adverts like this lead to? over feeding of pets just to create "entertainment"?

How you you feel about this?
Steve
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

20-02-2006, 06:56 PM
I remember seeing this on ch4 couple of weeks back in an ad break.I know it may seem like glorrifying overweight pets for ratings,but it could also highlight how detrimental it can be to their health.

If it makes people more aware of the dangers to their pets health from being overweight-im all for it.
Dalmonda
Dogsey Senior
Female 

20-02-2006, 07:06 PM
Originally Posted by Steve

If it makes people more aware of the dangers to their pets health from being overweight-im all for it.

If it was a show to make people more aware of theirs pets health i would also be all for it but i really dont see the need to parade dogs for entertainment and comedy. Shows like "its me or the dog" are entertainment shows HOWEVER the presenter gives good advice to those who need it. Making life better for dogs and their owners (and of course the people and animals around them not forgetting viewers ). But the advert is advertising for Dogs that are obese for comedy reasons they are even holding auditions!!!!
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-02-2006, 07:10 PM
its me or the dog were advertising a few weeks back for overwight animals to be on their show - and it is for the purpose of getting their owners sorted - the more coverage things like this get the better in my opinion.
Steve
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

20-02-2006, 07:12 PM
Originally Posted by SpottyDogsRule
If it was a show to make people more aware of theirs pets health i would also be all for it but i really dont see the need to parade dogs for entertainment and comedy. Shows like "its me or the dog" are entertainment shows HOWEVER the presenter gives good advice to those who need it. Making life better for dogs and their owners (and of course the people and animals around them not forgetting viewers ). But the advert is advertising for Dogs that are obese for comedy reasons they are even holding auditions!!!!

I dont think this program is classed as 'comedy'-it would be classed as entertainment.If its the same ad as i saw on tv,CH4 were looking for overweight pets for a show similar to 'its me or the dog'-which is an entertainment program.

I still think its good idea to highlight the importance of maintaning weight even through tv programs.
Dalmonda
Dogsey Senior
Female 

20-02-2006, 07:13 PM
just thought you would like to know this advert is for a completely NEW series. they are producing the pilot at present. and it cleary states "comedy show"
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-02-2006, 07:21 PM
I shall double check this for sure, and unfortunately can't show you the advert as it has been removed from the forum Jay is on about.

But the man who was doing it said that they were looking for Britain Most Obese Dog - to me, that's making light of an obesity problem.

He, himself said it was a comedy show. There is nothing funny about overweight dogs - as you all know, I'm sure. It puts strains on joints and organs and this show isn't to highlight those problems, it's to audition for the fattest dog, put it under hot lights and tv cameras, and let the whole nation have a good laugh.

I have emailed the man who posted the advert to actually tell me what he hopes to acheive from the programme (which isn't It's Me or The Dog and is only a pilot right now) and that way things can be straightened out.

To be fair, I agree with Jay, if I could only show you this original advert the word he used was 'comedy' and it did not appear to highlight any problem obesity can cause - if that is the reason for the programme, surely it would say so in the advert.
sez
Dogsey Senior
Female 

20-02-2006, 10:37 PM
oh god my rottie bess could apply,its not a deliberate thing,i feed her seperate but she somehow manages to nick what one of the others has left,i do try to remove any left overs honest she just is a grreedy guts,but she was starved in the past
sez and the gang
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-02-2006, 09:18 AM
Hi guys,

I have received an email concerning my queries but have been asked not to publish it online.

I can't really tell you anything as I agreed not to say anything on the www.

All I can tell you is that it has been confirmed through email that the programme was for 'comedy' value.

Now you can have an actual discussion on whether this is right, and have a rant if you so wish!

I believe that the producers need to know that a programme like this will upset more people than it pleases.
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-02-2006, 09:41 AM
I for one, don't understand how a program about overweight dogs could be made into a 'comedy' type show
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >