View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
muttzrule
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-07-2010, 04:48 PM

Moxie is lame with neuro deficits...kicking myself!!!

SO I moved about two weeks ago to an upstairs flat. For the past four years, Moxie and I have lived in a single level home, no stairs, but prior to that, we always lived in homes with stairs. Its never been a problem before.

But Moxie is 11 years old now and I really really wish I had taken that into consideration before I signed a lease....

About a week after moving in, Moxie started showing slight lameness. Its was almost inperceptable, but definitely there. I took her to see my vet and she noted some neurological deficits (slow reflexes) on her left side. Now Moxie can't take anti-inflammatory meds for several reasons, she has history of liver and kidney disease (both of which can be made worse by NSAID use) and she is on a steroid derivative for her IBD which you can't mix with NSAIDS. So my vet started her on a low dose of a narcotic pain med and Ive been resting her, carrying her up and down stairs etc. I put a baby gate at the top of the stairs to keep her going up and down them when I'm not with her.

But...this morning, I was in a hurry and forgot to put the gate back up when I left. I can't believe I was so stupid! I came home to find her waiting for me at the bottom of the stairs. She was walking, but barely, and dragging her left hind leg. So we are going to see my vet at 3, and made an appointment with the neurologist but cant get in until the 10th.

If I have permanently crippled my dog, I just don't think I can forgive myself! I don't know why it just didn't occure to me that Moxie would have a problem with stairs at this point in her life? More than that, I can't believe I forgot to put the stupid gate back!!! I am kicking myself big time. My poor baby girl.

So anyway, Dogsey vibes would be appreciated. I'm hoping that she doesn't have any spinal damage/involvement. I want this to be a strain/sprain, arthritis even.

BTW, having a permanent gate installed today, bolted to the wall with a pass through that latches so this won't happen again.
Sarah88
Dogsey Senior
Female 

28-07-2010, 05:00 PM
Sending lots of healing (((Vibes))) your way! Sounds like an awful situation but you can't be so hard on yourself. You didn't know that she would react in this way to the stairs! And you are doing the right things for her now, thats what counts!

Hoping to hear some positive news from you later on...

Sarah x (and some slobbery - supposedly healing - licks from Kia for your girl ) xx
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-07-2010, 05:39 PM
I bought a vest harness for my Oldie so I could help him up and down steps. You can also just put a towel under the tummy to help like a sling, just to take a bit of weight.
I hope your Oldie feels better soon.
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-07-2010, 06:14 PM
Oh Rachael, you must be so upset but who knows that it wouldn't have happened anyway.
Hope to hear some good news soon and that Moxie is feeling better.
muttzrule
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-07-2010, 12:06 AM
GREAT news! Just back from the vet. After pain meds and several hours of rest, her neuro reflexes were all normal!!! radiographs show moderate spondylosis of the spine and no disc compression. My vet thinks this is likely a strain that she re-injured this morning.

So she is going to be okay!!! I just have to make sure she doesn't take the stairs un assisted. New gate is installed at the top of the stairs. I was thinking of finding some way to build a ramp on top of the stairs, but I think I might try the harness first. Would be easier for me and less awkward than lifting her in my arms up and down the stairs.

Thanks for the idea! Off to google them now...