Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
ljru1970
Dogsey Senior
Female 

25-02-2012, 09:01 PM

Raw feeding - advice please

Having followed multiple threads extolling the benefits of a raw diet I'm considering giving this a go for my Daxie and terrier X, not sure I can afford it for the Goldie . Anyway, my local PAH sells frozen Natures menu nuggets which I understand are complete and I need add nothing? and the prize choice range. If anyone knows of any reason why these are not suitable for my little ones please say as I'm a complete novice! Also, what if anything extra would I need to give if I use the prize choice range? I may do half raw and half complete kibble, possibly Skinners hypoallergenic, not at the same sitting of course though. Thanks
Wild Rose
Dogsey Junior
Female 

26-02-2012, 11:19 PM
It will be easier on your dogs' digestive systems if you choose one food rather than kibble one day and meat another. I feed raw chicken to my dogs, sometimes pig's feet or oxtail, as I can get it. Chicken, because they are small animals, give you an almost complete meal. Skin, which has vitamin K, the 3, 6, and 9 omega fatty acids in the fat, muscle meat, ligaments, bone, and cartiledge. If you feed chicken backs there is usually some extra bits also. With chicken legs as a staple, I add liver, eggs including shell, and when I roast, some carrots cooked in meat juice. There is no need to grind bones or vegetables with this menu, just remember to mix in the cooked carrots and organ meat with your chosen raw meaty bones.

I'm in the U.S., so you may have better availability of other meat. My dogs only get mutton when I butcher one of my sheep.
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-02-2012, 11:32 PM
There is lots of info out there and I would advise to keep on reading and decide what version of raw feeding you wish to do
1/2 raw and 1/2 kibble is something many people do no problems

I do a pray model diet
Which roughly is 80% meat 10% bone and 10% offal (with at least 5% being liver)
but I dont follow it religiously - a bit of this a bit of that

I do use prize choice sometimes
The minces contain about 5% bone so when I use them I feel less bone
the chunks of beef and tripe are fine and I count them as meat
I I add offal - kidneys and livers mainly for as many animals as I can get hold of
and bones - chicken and lamb mainly - sometimes pork and sometimes beef although that can be hard on dogs teeth
Sometimes I add a raw egg
I try and add oily fish like sprats or sardenes about once a week too
and thats about what mine get fed

BUT
changing over I would take it slowly
one meat type at a time
Usually I feel chicken portions for about a week, then slowly add other meats a little at a time looking out for any adverse reaction to any meat. and be careful with marrowbones as marrow is very rich and can cause the squits

Oh and liver is ritch - poss best to add a tiny bit at a time to each meal before trying a whole liver meal - the squits are not nice if you rush that one
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-02-2012, 06:04 AM
Originally Posted by ljru1970 View Post
Having followed multiple threads extolling the benefits of a raw diet I'm considering giving this a go for my Daxie and terrier X, not sure I can afford it for the Goldie . Anyway, my local PAH sells frozen Natures menu nuggets which I understand are complete and I need add nothing? and the prize choice range. If anyone knows of any reason why these are not suitable for my little ones please say as I'm a complete novice! Also, what if anything extra would I need to give if I use the prize choice range? I may do half raw and half complete kibble, possibly Skinners hypoallergenic, not at the same sitting of course though. Thanks

First of all many people successfully feed dry and raw in many formats either dry supplemented by raw or one meal raw and one meal dry etc.

Prize choice are whole animals minced up with some bone, whether it contains sufficient bone I would challenge and of course one of the by products of raw feeding is the exercise the jaws get by crunching up and gnawing of bones.

However if you do not wish to feed bones then you can feed ground eggshell (if it is not ground the calcium cannot be absorbed).

The Prize Choice have a good range of tripe, beef, turkey, chicken, lamb, rabbit either whole or as "dinners" (dinners are chicken with another meat added).

I like to give my dogs fruit and vegetables too but not everyone does. This can either be cooked or pulped raw.