Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-02-2012, 10:05 AM

Flea and tick prevention recommendations

Due to buy more flea and tick prevention for the dogs.

Have previously used Frontline Combo and then Stronghold.

The one and only time Molly has ever had fleas was about 6 years ago when I chose not to treat her and she got fleas off the neighbours cat! Ever since then, I have always treated them and have never had a flea problem since.

Neither have ever had any ticks either.

They are wormed alternately with Drontal Plus and Panacur granules. Again, neither have ever had worms to my knowledge.

They are both almost 10kgs.

Can't decide on what to buy.

What would you recommend? Stronghold, Advantage, Advocate, Frontline? Or another?

What is Diatomaceous Earth like on coats? And is it as effective as some claim?

Thanks.
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-02-2012, 10:10 AM
Fiprodog!
Same as frontline, but a hell of a lot cheaper!
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-02-2012, 10:15 AM
Originally Posted by Hevvur View Post
Fiprodog!
Same as frontline, but a hell of a lot cheaper!
Oh! Never even thought of that. I'll have a look at it.

Any idea about Program?

ETA: And Effipro?
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-02-2012, 10:18 AM
I use Advocate for my cats and dogs. My Tilly has a flea allergy so I really have to keep on top of them and keep the house (I spray the house twice a year) and animals free of them. Advocate works really well.

The fleas around here became immune to Frontline, so I would never use that again.
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-02-2012, 10:22 AM
Originally Posted by labradork View Post
I use Advocate for my cats and dogs. My Tilly has a flea allergy so I really have to keep on top of them and keep the house (I spray the house twice a year) and animals free of them. Advocate works really well.

The fleas around here became immune to Frontline, so I would never use that again.

What do you use to spray the house with? Indorex or Acclaim? I've never done the house (apart from the time where Molly got fleas from the cat) and I cannot remember what we used back then. Thinking of doing it once a year though, just in case!
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-02-2012, 10:26 AM
Originally Posted by Westie_N View Post
What do you use to spray the house with? Indorex or Acclaim? I've never done the house (apart from the time where Molly got fleas from the cat) and I cannot remember what we used back then. Thinking of doing it once a year though, just in case!
Indorex.

I wouldn't bother if we didn't have the cats, but unfortunately it is the cats who bring the fleas in.
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-02-2012, 10:27 AM
I spray the house with Beaphar Household Flea Spray. Cheaper than the others, but kills the fleas (and other insects!).

Effipro is the same I think...(Fipronil).
I've used Advocate too, for cats and dogs.
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-02-2012, 10:29 AM
Originally Posted by Hevvur View Post
I spray the house with Beaphar Household Flea Spray. Cheaper than the others, but kills the fleas (and other insects!).

Effipro is the same I think...(Fipronil).
I've used Advocate too, for cats and dogs.
Excellent. Thanks for that info.

I'll make my mind up eventually. I'm getting worse.
LindsayP
Dogsey Junior
Female 

24-02-2012, 11:21 AM
My dads dog has fleas at the moment, no idea where she picked them up as she's DA and doesn't mix with other dogs...no cats either.
Dad bought some Bob Martin rubbish which I thold him wouldn't work...he didn't listen then tells me she still has fleas duh!
He now has Frontline but still won't listen when I tell him the whole house needs doing, not just the dog.
Thing is, I'm concerned if I go round there they will travel back on my clothes...can this happen?
pingu007
Dogsey Senior
Female 

24-02-2012, 11:44 AM
yes!! 99 percent of fleas, eggs etc live in the environment not on the dog, if a house has fleas it needs treating at least twice to 3 times to kill all the fleas that are in the pupal phase as they are damn near bullet proof, fleas are totally immune to frontline round our end and our boy is severely allergic, we have used advantage and advocate to great effect, and the spray we have used is called r.i.p fleas and although pricey it is fantastic!!!!
have read a statistic that for every flea you see there are approximately 2000 eggs, but not sure how accurate that is.
hope that helps
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >