Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
WhichPets
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-02-2012, 11:42 AM

Dog food ingredient nutritional breakdown

I have been looking around for threads that contain this info as I'm sure there are some.. so links to other threads appreciated too.

I know SB knows loads about nutrition..hint hint
Just thought it might be useful to put everything in one place.

Any good, easy to read/understand book suggestions also welcome.

A breakdown of the following and anything I have missed would be really useful.

Dog Food ingredients:
What is good?
What is bad?
What is additionally beneficial?
How much of it do they need?

Fruit - which ones offer what?
Veg - which ones offer what?
Sources of oils / fat - which are best? When do you need to add vit E.

Grain breakdown - Best to worst.
Ie Oats, rice, maize...

Best non-grain filler
s -
Sweet potato, potato?

Recommended calcium and protein levels - why do they vary, what is best for which type of dog?

What is meat meal as opposed to meat. Do derivatives matter?

What about moisture?

What about added extras like Glocsamine, chondroitin, DHA. How much is needed for it to make a difference. Do foods that promote them generally contain optimal amounts of these extras?

I realise this is a bit lengthy, but if anyone is interesting in offering up any info, its an area that interests me and may well help others understand what to look for in the minefield that is dog food.
greyhoundk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-02-2012, 11:48 AM
An idea from another forum, they have a sticky thread base on a traffic light system, i.e. red = bad, yellow = middle of the road and green = good

It lists most dry dog foods according to ingredients, quite a good idea i think then people can just go on and have a look.

Maybe Dogsey could have the same thing ?
WhichPets
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-02-2012, 03:53 PM
Well after a bit of scouting around the interenet I found Dog Food Advisor. So I trawled through some food choices to read a bit more about each more ingredient - it is pretty much copy and pasted just rearranged:

Meats
Named Meat (Beef, Chicken, Turkey etc.): Although it is a quality item, raw beef contains about 80% water. After cooking, most of that moisture is lost… reducing the meat content to just 20% of its original weight.

Named Meat Meal (Chicken Meat Meal): Chicken meal is considered a meat concentrate and contains nearly 300% more protein than fresh chicken.
Chicken by-product meal: A dry rendered product of slaughterhouse waste. It’s made from what’s left of a slaughtered chicken after all the prime cuts have been removed. In a nutshell, chicken by-products are those unsavoury leftovers usually considered “unfit for human consumption”. In addition to organs (the nourishing part), this stuff can contain almost anything — feet, beaks, undeveloped eggs — anything except quality skeletal muscle (real meat). On the brighter side, by-product meals are meat concentrates and contain nearly 300% more protein than fresh chicken.

Chicken Fat: Chicken fat is obtained from rendering chicken; a process similar to making soup in which the fat itself is skimmed from the surface of the liquid. Chicken fat is high in linoleic acid (an omega-6 fatty acid essential for life). Though it doesn’t sound very appetizing, chicken fat is a quality ingredient.

Animal Fat: Animal fat is a generic by-product of “rendering”… the same high-temperature process used to make meat meals. Since there’s no mention of a specific animal, this stuff could come from almost anywhere… restaurant grease, slaughterhouse waste, diseased cattle… even euthanized pets. Needless to say, generic animal fat is not a quality ingredient.

Meat and Bone Meal: A dry “rendered” product of slaughterhouse waste. It’s made from what’s left of a slaughtered animal after all the prime cuts have been removed. IE stuff that’s considered “unfit for human consumption” - heads, hooves, miscellaneous organs. It doesn’t even specify the source animal. Whenever you see the phrase “meat and bone meal” in any product you can be sure you’re looking at a dog food made with one of the most inferior meat ingredients you can buy. On the brighter side, meat and bone meals are meat concentrates and contain nearly 300% more protein than fresh meat.

Dried egg product: A dehydrated form of shell-free eggs. Quality can vary significantly. Lower grade egg product can even come from commercial hatcheries, from eggs that have failed to hatch. In any case, eggs are easy to digest and have an exceptionally high biological value.

Grains
Barley: Barley is a starchy carbohydrate supplying fiber and other healthy nutrients. Unlike grains with a higher glycemic index (like rice), barley can help support stable blood sugar levels in dogs

Rye: A cereal grain nutritionally similar to barley.

Corn: An inexpensive and controversial cereal grain of only modest nutritional value to a dog. For this reason, we do not consider corn a preferred component in any dog food. Contrary to what you may have heard, corn isn’t necessarily a bad ingredient. On the other hand, although there’s no way to know for sure here, the corn used in making many pet foods can be similar to the kind used to make feed for livestock. Corn is commonly linked to canine food allergies.For these reasons, we rarely consider corn a preferred component in any dog food.

Corn Gluten Meal: Gluten is the rubbery residue remaining once corn has had most of its starchy carbohydrate (the good bit) washed out of it. Compared to meat, glutens are inferior grain-based proteins lower in many of the essential amino acids dogs need for life. Again, as a plant based protein it can be used to boost total protein content.

Corn Meal: A coarsely ground flour made from dried corn. Corn is an inexpensive and controversial cereal grain of only modest nutritional value to a dog. For this reason, we do not consider corn a preferred component in any dog food.

Sorghum: Sorghum is a starchy cereal grain with a nutrient profile similar to corn. Since it is gluten-free and boasts a smoother blood sugar behaviour than other grains, sorghum may be considered an acceptable non-meat ingredient.

Wheat:
Used for making most pet foods it is almost never of human quality. It is an inexpensive grain subject to the same drawbacks as corn including its known links with canine allergies.

Brown Rice: Brown rice is a quality ingredient; a complex carbohydrate that (once cooked) is fairly easy to digest.

White Rice: A less nutritious form of rice in which the grain’s healthier outer layer has been removed.

Brewers Rice: Brewers rice represents the small grain fragments left over after milling whole rice. This is an inexpensive cereal grain by-product and not considered a quality ingredient.

Ground Rice: Another name for rice flour. Ground rice is made from either white or brown rice and is considered a gluten-free substitute for wheat flour.

Rice Flour: Rice flour is made from either white or brown rice and is considered a gluten-free substitute for wheat flour.

Rice Bran: A healthy by-product of milling whole grain rice. The bran is the fiber-rich outer layer of the grain containing starch, protein, fat as well as vitamins and minerals.

Oatmeal: A whole-grain product made from coarsely ground oats. Oatmeal is naturally rich in B-vitamins, fiber and is (unlike many other grains) mostly gluten-free.
Soybean Mill Run: Mill run is a by-product, mostly the hulls of soybeans remaining after processing the beans into meal. This is nothing more than a cheap, low-quality filler more commonly found in cattle feeds.

Wheat Mill Run. Although it sounds wholesome, wheat mill run is actually a by-product of cereal grain manufacturing. In reality, this stuff is nothing more than wheat dust and floor sweepings.

Millet: Gluten-free grains harvested from certain seed grasses. Millet is hypoallergenic and naturally rich in B-vitamins and fibre, as well as other essential minerals. Once cooked, millet can be easily digested by a dog.

Other Carbohydrates
Lentils: Lentils are a quality source of carbohydrates. Plus (like all legumes) they’re rich in natural fibre. However, lentils contain about 25% protein, a factor that must be considered when judging the actual meat content of this dog food.

Potato: Assuming they’re whole, potatoes are a good source of digestible carbohydrates and other healthy nutrients.

Sweet Potato: Sweet potatoes are a good source of complex carbohydrates in a dog food. They are naturally rich in fibre, beta carotene and other healthy nutrients.
Tapioca: Tapioca is a natural extract made from the root of the cassava plant. It is a starchy carbohydrate that is grain-free and gluten-free. Tapioca is mainly used as a binder to hold all the other ingredients together during the cooking process.

Oils

Sunflower Oil:
Sunflower oil is nutritionally similar to safflower oil. Since these oils are high in omega-6 fatty acids and contain no omega-3′s, they’re considered less nutritious than canola or flaxseed oils. Sunflower oil is notable for its resistance to heat damage during cooking. There are several different types of sunflower oil, some better than others. Without knowing more, it’s impossible to judge the quality of this ingredient.

Fish Oil:
Fish oil is naturally rich in the prized EPA and DHA type of omega-3 fatty acids. These two high quality fats boast the highest bio-availability to dogs and humans. Depending on its level of freshness and purity, fish oil should be considered a commendable addition.

Canola Oil: Most applaud canola for its favourable omega-3 content… while a vocal minority condemn it as an unhealthy fat. Current thinking (ours included) finds the negative stories about canola oil more the stuff of urban legend than actual science.

Veg

Peas: Peas are a quality source of carbohydrates. And like lentils, peas can also contain a notable amount of natural fibre and protein.

Pea Protein:
What remains of a pea after removing the starchy part of the vegetable (used to boost protein). Even though it contains over 80% protein, this ingredient would be expected to have a lower biological value than meat.

Chicory Root: Naturally rich in a substance called inulin, a starch-like compound made up of repeating units of carbohydrates and found in certain roots and tubers. Not only is inulin a natural source of soluble dietary fibre, it’s also a prebiotic used to promote the growth of healthy bacteria in a dog’s digestive tract.

Tomato Pomace: Tomato pomace is a controversial ingredient; a by-product left after processing tomatoes into juice, soup and ketchup. Many praise tomato pomace for its high fiber and nutrient content whilst others scorn it as cheap pet food filler.

Apple Pomace: includes the pulpy solids that remain after pressing apples to extract the juice. It is most likely used here for its fibre content.

Garlic: Can be a controversial item. Although the majority of experts favour the ingredient for its numerous health benefits, garlic (in rare cases) has been linked to Heinz body anaemia in dogs. Most of the literature we surveyed offered no conclusive evidence against the use of garlic, especially in small amounts.

Other

Soybean meal: Soybean meal is actually a useful by-product. It’s what remains of soybeans after all the oil has been removed. Soybean meal contains 48% protein. However, compared to meat, this item is considered an inferior plant-based protein providing a lower biological value.

Flaxseed:
One of the best plant sources of healthy omega-3 fatty acids. Provided they’ve first been ground into a meal, flax seeds are also rich in soluble fibre.
Beet Pulp: Beet pulp is a controversial ingredient; a high fibre by-product of sugar beet processing. Some denounce beet pulp as an inexpensive filler while others cite its outstanding intestinal health and blood sugar benefits. We only call your attention here to the controversy and believe the inclusion of beet pulp in reasonable amounts in most dog foods is entirely acceptable.

Powdered Cellulose: Non-digestible plant fibre usually made from the by-products of vegetable processing. Cellulose is sometimes added to dilute the number of calories per serving and to give the feeling of fullness when it is eaten. Except for the usual benefits of fibre, powdered cellulose provides no nutritional value to a dog.

Brewers Dried Yeast:
Although it is a by-product of the beer making process, brewers yeast contains about 45% protein and is rich in other healthy nutrients. (It is a plant based protein, often used in high quantities in poorer food to boost protein levels) Fans believe yeast repels fleas and supports the immune system. Critics argue yeast ingredients can be linked to allergies. This may be true, but (like all allergies) only if your particular dog is allergic to the yeast itself. What’s more, a vocal minority insist yeast can increase the risk of developing the life-threatening condition known as bloat. However, this is something we’ve not been able to scientifically verify.

Feel free to add to it, critique it (as I didn't write it just compiled so no offense taken!) Just thought it could be of use to people.
ljru1970
Dogsey Senior
Female 

22-02-2012, 08:32 PM
Well done WhichPets. I've been using this chart to try & find a new food for my three, one of whom has a beef allergy. Hard work though, as so far it seems most of the ones I've been looking at so far have at least one of the not so good ingredients. I will find one!
WhichPets
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-02-2012, 08:44 PM
What about
Fish4Dogs
Orijen
Wafcol salmon and potato

Good luck choosing one. If you post a specific question in Nutrition you will get loads of suggestions
ljru1970
Dogsey Senior
Female 

23-02-2012, 06:53 PM
Originally Posted by WhichPets View Post
What about
Fish4Dogs
Orijen
Wafcol salmon and potato

Good luck choosing one. If you post a specific question in Nutrition you will get loads of suggestions
Thanks. Have on another thread. Currently use JWB as one dog has beef allergy. Looking for a comparable food that is cheaper-struggling! Now I've seen the 'list' I'm looking for the perfect food. Fools errand I think.
WhichPets
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-02-2012, 10:05 PM
Originally Posted by ljru1970 View Post
Thanks. Have on another thread. Currently use JWB as one dog has beef allergy. Looking for a comparable food that is cheaper-struggling! Now I've seen the 'list' I'm looking for the perfect food. Fools errand I think.
There are lots out there it is a bit of a minefield though. Had a look at the thread you posted and there are lots of good suggestions on there.

I feed fish 4 dogs (£36 for 12kg from pet supermarket.com). It is just fish and potato - so grain free and beef free! Although it seems a similar price to JWB (the quality of ingredients is much higher though) I actually find it better value as I only feed 100grams per 10kg weight of dog.
My bag lasts for 3 months for a 13kg dog, which is about £3 per week. For a little daxie it will cost you very little

Good luck choosing!
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-02-2012, 10:13 PM
I always found this website to be informative:

http://www.dogfoodproject.com/index.php?page=main

Just bear in mind that it is an American website, so I'm assuming not everything applies as same as it does here.

I used to be on a forum with the lady who runs it.
TansDad
New Member!

24-02-2012, 06:46 PM
Check out http://www.pet-food-choice.co.uk/pet_food_review.htm which takes into account the cost as well as the quality of the food.