Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Wyrd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-07-2011, 02:39 PM

Chemical Castration

On another forum someone has been advised to have their dog chemically castrated before having him surgically castrated to see if it helps behavior problems.

I haven't had any experience of chemical castration, can anyone tell me a little more about it and what they actually do? (is it an implant or an injection?) and how long it lasts? When would you opt for chemical castration over surgical castration? (show dogs prehaps?)
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-07-2011, 02:42 PM
Originally Posted by Wyrd View Post
On another forum someone has been advised to have their dog chemically castrated before having him surgically castrated to see if it helps behavior problems.

I haven't had any experience of chemical castration, can anyone tell me a little more about it and what they actually do? (is it an implant or an injection?) and how long it lasts? When would you opt for chemical castration over surgical castration? (show dogs prehaps?)
Tardek - injection lasts about 3 weeks or so
Superlorin - implant can last around a year or so

Use - to get over the tricky teens, to determine if a dog would benefit from surgical castration, if you have another entire dog, a bitch etc etc
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-07-2011, 03:16 PM
Dont use Tardak its rubbish, it uses female hormones. Use Suprelorin, its an exact testosterone removal and will last about 6mths. This is long enough to know if any changes to your dog will be apparent.

NEVER in a show dog, it shrinks the testicles!!
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-07-2011, 04:24 PM
The person was being advised to neuter an occasionally reactive dog. I suggested this because I feel it would be a mistake in this case.
Wyrd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-07-2011, 04:30 PM
I wasn't debating whether it was a good idea or not to castrate the dog, I was just interested in what chemical castration was
Tass
Almost a Veteran
Female 

22-07-2011, 04:32 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
Dont use Tardak its rubbish, it uses female hormones. Use Suprelorin, its an exact testosterone removal and will last about 6mths. This is long enough to know if any changes to your dog will be apparent.

NEVER in a show dog, it shrinks the testicles!!
Temporarily, although it can be for up to a year from implant to regaining full size.

However, as far as I am aware, show dogs are only required to have "two fully descended testicles in the scrotum".

So long as they are large enough to be palpated in the scrotum I don't think any of the breed standards specify size, although judges may have personal preferences .
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-07-2011, 04:41 PM
Originally Posted by Tass View Post
Temporarily, although it can be for up to a year from implant to regaining full size.

However, as far as I am aware, show dogs are only required to have "two fully descended testicles in the scrotum".

So long as they are large enough to be palpated in the scrotum I don't think any of the breed standards specify size, although judges may have personal preferences .
A show dog shouldnt need its testosterone suppressed should it? If it has a behaviour issue, IMO it shouldnt be in the ring!
Tass
Almost a Veteran
Female 

22-07-2011, 09:51 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
A show dog shouldnt need its testosterone suppressed should it? If it has a behaviour issue, IMO it shouldnt be in the ring!
I entirely agree with you, although I have seen some very good handlers who can successfully show (cover up for?!) some difficult dogs, without any chemical help.

However one may wish to use a hormonal implant, not to change behaviour, but to prevent or delay breeding, without separating cohabiting dogs.

I gather that in America, when some owners request artificial testicles to be inserted following castration, they will request a size larger than the dog originally had.

Ah well they say everything is bigger and better in Texas!
lisa01uk87
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-07-2011, 10:45 PM
i have a friend who done this to see if it would help her male gsd who was getting a bit ott with other males neutered or entire before actually getting him done. when he first met ty he was ok (before chemical castration) apart from if we were on a small path after having the chemical castration there was no problem's at all. so that made her decision alot easier
GSD-Sue
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-07-2011, 01:15 PM
I had this done with one of my males who was a problem at times especially when handled by a woman but he was worse with the chemical castration. My vet suspected he might be, though the behaviorist had said to do it, this is why we had the chemical one first.