View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-11-2011, 06:19 PM
By that I mean, many people think their dogs love a hug. I can see, that the dogs do not always concur with their humans, but are simply tolerating what is happening. (And some dogs do like a hug and cuddle, they have learnt to tolerate or even enjoy it)
And even those who do actually enjoy it only really like it on their own terms. Rupert will shove and shove with his head and shoulders until he's positioned just so in your lap with your arms around him and his head up under your chin. Resisting is futile, he wants his hugs and he wants them now dammit! However if I went to him while he was dozing on the sofa and gave him a hug he would not be overly impressed at all. He doesn't growl or snap but he's quite plainly thinking "oh for gods sake leave me alone!" Occasionally I forget myself but I try not to hug him unless he asks.
Moon's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-11-2011, 06:30 PM
Originally Posted by sarah1983 View Post
And even those who do actually enjoy it only really like it on their own terms. Rupert will shove and shove with his head and shoulders until he's positioned just so in your lap with your arms around him and his head up under your chin. Resisting is futile, he wants his hugs and he wants them now dammit! However if I went to him while he was dozing on the sofa and gave him a hug he would not be overly impressed at all. He doesn't growl or snap but he's quite plainly thinking "oh for gods sake leave me alone!" Occasionally I forget myself but I try not to hug him unless he asks.
Cain turns his back to me when I'm sitting on the sofa, plonks his bum and inches backwards until he's pushed right against my legs, demanding his hug it's so funny how he "assumes the position!"
promarc
Dogsey Senior
Male 

24-11-2011, 07:46 PM
Originally Posted by Wysiwyg View Post
Very wise to get a vet check followed by a behaviourist if needed afterwards

Do you mind me saying something? I promise it is meant to be constructive but I wondered just how much your lad is comfortable with the children?

Bythat I mean, many people think their dogs love a hug. I can see, that the dogs do not always concur with their humans, but are simply tolerating what is happening. (And some dogs do like a hug and cuddle, they have learnt to tolerate or even enjoy it)

The reason I say this is that if he did feel overwhelmed (which is very likely) he may feel like that at other times but just not "say anything". I'd therefore suggest really studying dog body language and ensuring you can read when he is uncomfortable or stressed, that way you can be more sure if he is relaxing at home with the family.

I hope you see what I am getting at. He looks like a lovely dog and is clearly very much loved and cared for (he also looks to be rather a character )

Kind regards
Wys
x
Give over Wysiwyg ask away, like i said he his brill with the kids i wouldnt put my kids in a position were i thought it would be dangerous, like the vet said with my missus cuddling him a bit to much imo then my daughter stood next to him he felt threatened and to enclosed and the only way to get out of the situation was to give a warning, i kick myself as just before it happened i'd seen he wasnt comfy but before i could tell my daughter and missus to leave him he'd give the warning, plus with his foot being sore and being uncomfy by that just wanted to be left alone. See as a puppy he never minded, but now he's in the teenage part leading to adulthood he probaly doesnt want the attention as beforehand, so were now learning to have a different aproach to him and teach the kids not to cuddle him as before, stroke him if he aproach's them etc not to go to him, he's banned from the sofa now so thats working out as we now have a massive rug he can sleep on. The kids have been told not to go near him when he's sleeping no matter were he his, really think as were first time dog owners its learning what is acceptable and what isnt,.
TabithaJ
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-11-2011, 08:24 PM
Just wanted to say I love the pictures of Sammy - such a gorgeous bear of a dog! More please
Page 5 of 5 « First < 2 3 4 5