View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
katygeorge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-07-2011, 12:07 PM
well today was no better tried with a normal lead ect and it made no difference . so after about 500 yards i gave in and took him back. told my boss he would have to walk him he looked like this when he got back lol
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-07-2011, 12:20 PM
Originally Posted by katygeorge View Post
well today was no better tried with a normal lead ect and it made no difference . so after about 500 yards i gave in and took him back. told my boss he would have to walk him he looked like this when he got back lol
thats good news
means you may get head collar now

I would try taking him out on a normal lead and headcollar with some food treats (for the slightest bit of slack on the lead) Means he may not go far (as I realise time will be limited) but you need to think of your own safety and that of the dog. If that is still too much then its your boss's problem!!

It MAY be that he is away from his owners, anxious and full of beans with all the noise/dogs around. If he is used as a gundog, he has training, he just dosnt know it applies here at the kennels and with different handlers.
katygeorge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-07-2011, 05:50 PM
boss wont allow me to use a head collar, so i have refused to walk him. Boss can deal with the little devil now
dreamaday
Dogsey Junior
Female 

24-07-2011, 09:25 PM
This is exactly what I dread of our Jasper (25kg lab collie X), he is due in kennels for one night only in a few weeks.

He is real git on the lead! He was a DT dog that came with no training or manners at approx 12 months old. We have been working constantly with him on his lead walking for 18months now, behaviour at home is fab, outside, on lead - frustratingly hard!

What you describe is how I picture him at kennels and I dread it, and the thought the kennel staff may think we havent trained our dog!! He tries it on everytime we go out, I have a Walkeze harness and have recently bought a Dogmatic head collar which seems to be helping.

Dont get me wrong, he has made massive improvement (Day 1 - 2 hands on lead and dig heels in, each step risked being pulled over!) he will do it but it requires constant correction by stoping and starting.
My fear is he will drag any kennel staff around, wind around legs, and he will still jump all over someone if he is stressed or excited or confused.
I know damn well it is not their place to correct him or continue with training, but I also worry how he will be when he comes home if he has been allowed to drag someone around, even after such a short stay.

I realise non of this helps you, it does sound like you have a maniac on your hands!! I dont know what else to suggest.
i am contemplating asking the kennels not to walk Jasper (he will be dropped off on Saturday after a good walk and be picked up lunchtime Sunday, in time for a good walk) this wouldnt work for you though.

Good luck, let us know how you get on with him.
ps - are you able to walk him with another member of staff on 2 leads? I saw some DT staff doing this with a couple of har pulling dogs!
wallaroo
Almost a Veteran
Female 

24-07-2011, 10:24 PM
Can you contact the owners? It may be that they use a headcollar or something and just forgot to give you it? They may at least give permission for you to use one
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-07-2011, 10:28 PM
Headcollars need to be got used to slowly---you shouldn't just put one on and go straight for a walk.

How about trying a no pull harness with a front clip----they don't need as much time to get used to those.

What you describe is an occupational hazard in rescue kennels!

rune
dreamaday
Dogsey Junior
Female 

25-07-2011, 08:32 AM
Have just realised about using 2 leads with one dog, dont both clip to the same ring on the collar, we did it with Jas and the ring pulled apart! might be better to use 2 collars!
katygeorge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-07-2011, 06:50 PM
Originally Posted by dreamaday View Post
This is exactly what I dread of our Jasper (25kg lab collie X), he is due in kennels for one night only in a few weeks.

He is real git on the lead! He was a DT dog that came with no training or manners at approx 12 months old. We have been working constantly with him on his lead walking for 18months now, behaviour at home is fab, outside, on lead - frustratingly hard!

What you describe is how I picture him at kennels and I dread it, and the thought the kennel staff may think we havent trained our dog!! He tries it on everytime we go out, I have a Walkeze harness and have recently bought a Dogmatic head collar which seems to be helping.

Dont get me wrong, he has made massive improvement (Day 1 - 2 hands on lead and dig heels in, each step risked being pulled over!) he will do it but it requires constant correction by stoping and starting.
My fear is he will drag any kennel staff around, wind around legs, and he will still jump all over someone if he is stressed or excited or confused.
I know damn well it is not their place to correct him or continue with training, but I also worry how he will be when he comes home if he has been allowed to drag someone around, even after such a short stay.

I realise non of this helps you, it does sound like you have a maniac on your hands!! I dont know what else to suggest.
i am contemplating asking the kennels not to walk Jasper (he will be dropped off on Saturday after a good walk and be picked up lunchtime Sunday, in time for a good walk) this wouldnt work for you though.

Good luck, let us know how you get on with him.
ps - are you able to walk him with another member of staff on 2 leads? I saw some DT staff doing this with a couple of har pulling dogs!
if you asked usw not to walk your dog we wouldnt, and to be honest he manage to wear himself out with all the going on of the kennels
katygeorge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-07-2011, 06:54 PM
as for marley* my boss is quite happy to be the one in charge of him. we try and match experianced staff to dogs that need them, i tend to be nurvouse dogs as i have the patience of a saint and i get big dogs - as i have one and some staff are uneasy about them
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2