Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Cumbrian Lass
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-11-2005, 10:27 PM

Goldfish health prob

Does anyone have any idea as to what we can do for one of our fish. It has a huge boil like lump on it's side. Is this treatable or dangerous?
minky
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-11-2005, 08:45 AM
Originally Posted by Cumbrian Lass
Does anyone have any idea as to what we can do for one of our fish. It has a huge boil like lump on it's side. Is this treatable or dangerous?
Poor fishy. Is it ulcerated?
Cumbrian Lass
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-11-2005, 10:35 PM
I have to admit Minky that my OH deals with the fish and he says that it's not ulcerated. It's just a large bump
crazycockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-11-2005, 10:55 PM
Goldfish are prone to bacterial infections/Ulcers, it's normally caused by water conditions. Sometimes aquarium salt can help....or if it's really bad you may need some sort of medication from a vet.

Is this a new fish?
Jessica
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-11-2005, 11:02 PM
We've been having some problems with our Koi. They started off with just weird lumps that turned into sores. We took it to our local fish shop who said it was a bacterial infection. We've added pond tonic (pretty much just salt, but specifically for the pond!) and some stuff they gave us for bacterial infections

The best thing to do is to ask at your local fish shop, and if possible take the fish in so they can have a look at him I would seperate him from the others just incase it is some contagious though
min_tbs
Dogsey Junior
Female 

14-11-2005, 11:15 PM
Hello go to a local pet store (big one) with a sample of your tank/pond water in a bag, and they might test the ph levels for you. We used to where I worked
minky
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-11-2005, 01:01 PM
Mr fishy any better?
Cumbrian Lass
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-11-2005, 09:36 PM
Originally Posted by Crazycockers
Is this a new fish?
No, he/she is about 5 years old now

Thanks Jessica & min_tbs
I had considered taking him to the local pet shop, but didn't want to haul him over there in case it was going to put him under undue stress. Taking a sample of the water sounds the best thing though (hadn't thought about doing that)

Originally Posted by Minky
Mr fishy any better?
No... it does seem to be growing, so will get his water tested. I have the salts already and some other stuff that we used to clear up white spot although I think it may be out of date now

Thanks for all your advice. I'll let you know what the aquarium says on saturday
ellenlouise
Dogsey Senior
Female 

16-11-2005, 06:31 PM
Hey

Even though pet smart is good for most things it isn't great with its fish no offence to anyone .... but I know someone that works there and there ethics aren't all there. The best place I know is aquatic habitat don't know if you will have one near you. They will never sell a fish to a unsuitable home i have just set up a tropical tank after 4 months of waiting an adding fish slowly. They test your water everytime you buy a new fish. Or if you need advice on any bacteria that could have happened. If your fish had damaged its scales in anyway and bacteria had got in it causing an infection that may explain it. You could take him I have taken one of my fish to mine before as he was floating to the top they gave me advice I changed his food and he was fine. I put him in a plastic tup with the tank water and the put him in a bag so that he was in the dark. He was on my lap the whole way with me keeping him steady. A great chemical to use in your tank and the only one I do use is to make the chlorine level safe as I have to remove 15% of the water of my tank once a week and add new in. The stuff coats the fish with vitamins and a protection so that if they did hurt themselves the glaze over them protects them. If you want the name of it pm me as I am not sure I am allowed to put it down as it may be advetising? Hope this helps. I am not an expert but my uncle is when I see him I will tell him about your fish see what he says. I only have tropical fish now. Hope he gets better
Cumbrian Lass
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-11-2005, 12:31 AM
Originally Posted by ellenlouise
Hey

Even though pet smart is good for most things it isn't great with its fish no offence to anyone .... but I know someone that works there and there ethics aren't all there. The best place I know is aquatic habitat don't know if you will have one near you. They will never sell a fish to a unsuitable home i have just set up a tropical tank after 4 months of waiting an adding fish slowly. They test your water everytime you buy a new fish. Or if you need advice on any bacteria that could have happened. If your fish had damaged its scales in anyway and bacteria had got in it causing an infection that may explain it. You could take him I have taken one of my fish to mine before as he was floating to the top they gave me advice I changed his food and he was fine. I put him in a plastic tup with the tank water and the put him in a bag so that he was in the dark. He was on my lap the whole way with me keeping him steady. A great chemical to use in your tank and the only one I do use is to make the chlorine level safe as I have to remove 15% of the water of my tank once a week and add new in. The stuff coats the fish with vitamins and a protection so that if they did hurt themselves the glaze over them protects them. If you want the name of it pm me as I am not sure I am allowed to put it down as it may be advetising? Hope this helps. I am not an expert but my uncle is when I see him I will tell him about your fish see what he says. I only have tropical fish now. Hope he gets better

Hi
I will PM you for the name of that stuff thanks
As for the large aquarium places, no we don't have any over here But there is a little home run sort of place where we have gone to for advice in past. Just wondered if it was something to be worried about first. If it's just a growth, then we're not bothered, but if this isn't normal, then a trip to the fishy vets is probably called for... He/She will be fine, I'm sure

Thanks for some top advice
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >