Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-05-2005, 09:56 PM

Frightened about nose lump/spot

We took Loki to the vets last Saturday because he developed a pale pink raised spot on the edge of his nose and inside that nostril. The vet wasn't sure what it was - he said it might be an infected scratch or impetigo. He gave us antibiotics and told us to bring him back this Saturday to have a look at.

The thing is, there has been no change at all. There doesn't seem to be any discharge or scab - just this raised pink spot. I think there is another one below his nose too.

The vet said if it hadn't cleared up he wanted to do a biopsy and I'm terrified it's cancer. What does biopsy mean? Will he take a portion of his nose or just a tiny bit and will it heal back afterwards? Will Loki have to go under anaesthetic? He's only eight months and I've been having horrible terrors of losing him.

Please - does anyone have any experience of pink spots appearing?

Thanks
x
PurpleJackdaw
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-05-2005, 10:12 PM
Sorry I cant help
I think they will prob take a small bit off it and send it away for tests
I wonder is it possibly a bee sting ? as Kira keeps trying to sniff bees and I'm not sure what that would look like on a nose and one of these times she will end up being stung
I hope its nothing to worry about
bluemerle lover
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-05-2005, 10:19 PM
i agree with purple jackdaw it could possibly be a bee sting,and when they do the biopsy they take the smallest sample and send it to the labs for testing,i dont think it would be any thing serious as there has been no change in colour or size please let us know how you get on
rich c
Almost a Veteran
Male 

18-05-2005, 06:53 AM
See my thread entitled cyst...

Could be a similar histiocytoma thing. The LARGE lump Jake had removed is currently off to the lab for analysis. Apparently lumps of a benign nature are quite common on younger dogs of some breeds.
Vix
Dogsey Senior
Female 

18-05-2005, 08:41 AM
I hope everything goes ok. Let us know as soon as you hear anything.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

18-05-2005, 08:54 AM
Hi Lucky Star it could be any number of things but I don't think it is a bee sting , remember with a bee sting the sting usually left behind and there is often a visable puncture mark like a little pinmark in the middle of the wound. Also I think a sting would have been extremely painful in the sensitive tissue of the nose and your dog would have cried a lot Could be bacterial.. Do not worry about the biopsy, they will take only need the tinyest bit of tissue... a few cells and may do it with a local anaesthetic on such a small area. I am sure Loki will be fine
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-05-2005, 09:16 AM
Thanks guys - there is definitely no sting or anything in it. It looks a bit flatter today, almost like pigmentation. I must admit when I first saw it I thought he was getting a snow nose but it hasn't changed. I feel a bit better about the idea of a biopsy now if it's a tiny, tiny bit they take, but I can't imagine Loki sitting still long enough.

Rich - thanks, I will have a look at your cyst post.

I hope it's just some sort of doggie acne thing.