Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Vix
Dogsey Senior
Female 

13-05-2005, 06:19 PM

On/off tummy upset

Hi can anyone help?

Khera has had an on and off upset tummy since we got her 5 months ago. Originally put it down to the absolute crap that the family before had been feeding her but then realised that most doggy chews and odd bits of food she scavenged went straight through her aswell. This seemed to stop when we changed her onto burns and even when we added about 3 tins of sardines a day she seemed ok. (She needs to put on weight but needs lower protein diet due to being hypo)
These last 2 weeks she has had an upset tummy again. Mostly in her morning toilet. Been racking my mind thinking it was plants...bread left out for birds etc and everytime i went to make an appointment at vets she was ok again.
Just wondered if anyone has an ideas. She is losing even more weight because of this and isn't as interested in her food as normal? It isn't like she gets treats or any meat etc only burns products.
Anyone got any advice? Will be taking her to vets next week.
Carole
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

13-05-2005, 06:34 PM
Have you tried the Burns Active it is slightly higher in protein that the normal Burns. Star could not maintain a good weight on Burns so had to be fed the higher protein. You dont feed as much as normal Burns.

Burns told me also that if your dog eats too much it can cause an upset tummy too.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

13-05-2005, 06:41 PM
Hi there Vix has she been wormed recently ? I would try taking her off the food and feed rice and white fish/chicken for a couple of days to see if that works then reintroduce the dry a bit at a time That is a lot of sardines in a day maybe too much?
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-05-2005, 07:54 PM
I'm on Burns now with mine, but when I use sardines or tuna to give the dry food some interest, a small tin of tuna or 1 tin of sardines would last me all day with 2 dogs. I have a feeling you are overdoing the sardines - are they the ones in oil? Oil will make her loose, so do her loose poos coincide with when she had the sardines? Try leaving off the sardines or just sprinkle half a sardine over her Burns for every feed (don't know how many feeds a day you are giving?) and see how she goes with that. At the moment mine are having a small amount of chicken sprinkled over their Burns food each time as I actually find this cheaper than using the tuna or sardines. Tesco have a special offer on of 2 for £5 at the moment, so I cook them up and freeze portions to last me a day's feeds and since I stopped giving them the tuna or sardines both of them are doing nice hard poos, whereas they would be quite loose sometimes, and I think it may be the oil, and of course they much prefer the chicken, so if she is losing interest maybe you could try the chicken idea?
Vix
Dogsey Senior
Female 

13-05-2005, 08:32 PM
Hi guys thanks for your help. I'm thinking maybe it's the fish. I do drain and rinse the sunflower oil off it but guess it's just too much. She's been eating them for a while and been fine though. She isn't particularly greedy with her burns surprisingly. She doesn't always eat it immediately. Oh and i do feed twice a day. Might try the chicken but as me and OH are vege and i don't own a freezer it might be awkward.
The more i think about it the more i think it's the sardines.....oops
Oh and she's all up to date with worming. Was done last week.
Well anyway we did stop the fish yesterday so fingers crossed. Thanks again....will keep you posted
Annie18
Dogsey Junior
Female 

13-05-2005, 08:34 PM
Originally Posted by Helena54
I'm on Burns now with mine
Really Helena, how does it taste?
Annie18
Dogsey Junior
Female 

13-05-2005, 08:37 PM
Hi Vix, Have you thought of buying the sardines and the tuna in spring water instead of oil? There is plenty of oil in the fish itself anyway.
Vix
Dogsey Senior
Female 

13-05-2005, 09:27 PM
Hi ya funnily enough i just saw some in tesco. Hadn't noticed it before....people at Burns mentioned sardines in sunflower oil and i just went with it. Leaving her off it for a bit but might well try that. Thanks
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-05-2005, 09:41 AM
Originally Posted by Annie18
Really Helena, how does it taste?

Mmmmmmm deliscious! Yum yum!