Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Azz
Administrator
Male 

10-05-2014, 09:33 AM

Look up

This is brilliant - so many people these days are now glued to their phones, with life just passing them by...

Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

10-05-2014, 09:46 AM
So true Azz, so true. Even my neighbour, who I love like a sister and who is, being honest, not the brightest spark - is glued to her phone.

I have a basic mobile cellular phone which is only ever switched on if I am out of my home, and is for emergencies only. No way will I ever have a smart phone because to me, and for me, the last thing they are is "smart".
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-05-2014, 09:52 AM
It's not just about PHONES though is it? It is more to do with social interaction on the internet in general, whether that be bookface, discussion forums, interest forums, the phone is just a medium (like a laptop, tablet or computer is) to get to them. With people who mostly interact with other people (or 'friends') via the internet.

Apart from neighbours, I think I've met almost all the people I know in Cyprus (and I know a lot of people) from being out and about with my dog everyday. And from using my local shops and businesses instead of the more anonymous big supermarkets.

You never meet anyone to chat to if you are cooped up in your car either. You do when you are out and about on the streets of your neighbourhood.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-05-2014, 09:58 AM
Here's a pub sign I like!

Moyra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-05-2014, 10:23 AM
I like that poster Pat. I am afraid that video is oh so true. The only people I integrate with are those I have met on here where we go for a lunch once a month if we can or those I meet walking Amber. I have a phone an old fashioned one, no camera or apps just plain simple for use in emergencies should I fall or need help when out.
y_not
Dogsey Junior
Male 

10-05-2014, 10:45 AM
Dog walkers are the most sociable people on the planet! My wife joins the morning community strolling around the cricket pitch, I meet the regulars every evening and just this morning was chatting to another walker (with his Border Terrier) on the moors.
Whilst ever we have dogs we will practice the sacred art of conversing!
OwnedbyBC's
New Member!
Female 

10-05-2014, 02:53 PM
I thought I was a dying breed as I only have a basic mobile phone that I would only use in an emergency when I'm out and about. It's now May and I've not used it once this year
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-05-2014, 03:29 PM
That made me cry - my thoughts exactly!

Basic phone here too. I could get internet etc. on it if I wanted to ... but I don't.
Jenny
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-05-2014, 04:41 PM
What a terrific video and voice-over. So very true but obviously it is not just phones, ........ it should have been called 'Lool Up From the Screen'.

I'm certainly guilty of spending 'too much' time even here on the forum chatting . When my OH is around I spend less time but when he's off out I'll come on here.

Are you trying to tell us Azz to all go away and chat and get advice from real people .....if so your wonderful forum will die a death

I spend far more time chatting to people in person than I do in cyber space but I know of quite a few people whose life evolves around 'chatting' to computer screens ...... where of course people can pretend to be whatever they like and re-invent themselves.
Azz
Administrator
Male 

10-05-2014, 06:19 PM
Forums are different Jenny - you usually only use them when sat at a computer

I was at the sauna the other day, and two young lads just finished, got showered and towelled and were sitting in the waiting area to dry off... with their mobile phones!! I bet they thought I was so rude cos I just started talking to them and mentioned how crazy it is how people are glued to their phones these days
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >