Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Littlepony
Dogsey Junior
Female 

07-03-2013, 04:30 PM

How many dogs is too many?

Hi everyone!
Just musing really but thought I would see if anyone else had an opinion on this.

How many dogs is your limit? Is there anything that would change your mind as to how many to have?

I currently own two large breed dogs. One GSD and one collie cross GSD. Both are quite well trained and get on well. Collie has some OCD issues but that is under control right now.
I have always drooled over gsds and they are definatley my breed. Unfortunately my old man is starting to slow down and stay at home more and I would love another GSD for collie to play with as he is still a baby (2-3 year old rescue) but am thinking 3 may be too many and 2 is the ideal number!
Then I think maybe less is more as I can spend more time with each individually?

Does the size of house matter? How do you manage on car trips (I have a tiny car!!)

Anything else?

Jenny
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-03-2013, 04:37 PM
There are quite a few number of members here who have lots of dogs who I believe co-exist really well.

For me two is just perfect - company for each other and one for each hand while out walking. Also I take them in to visit my Mum in a nursing home, and I'm not sure if 3 would be too many as far as they are concerned. I have two crates in the back of my car - three definitely wouldn't fit.
Fivedogpam
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-03-2013, 04:37 PM
As my name would suggest, I had five (collies) for a while, then went up to six for a few weeks and am now back to four which is an ideal number for me. The six was hard work but I had a very small puppy, an ailing elderly bitch and a cancer-stricken three-legged boy so it's not surprising! I did find six too many for me and the puppy didn't have all the attention he should have had at that age but I can only see that looking back.

I'm lucky in that I transport mine in a caged van but I do a lot of agility shows. My house is a really good dog house but my friend has four collies in a very small house and manages fine. I think it just depends on how big a part of your life you want them to be.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

07-03-2013, 05:26 PM
Hello L I would say it is down to how many dogs you can afford to feed, proved veterinary treatment (which as we all know is very expensive) and have time to care for and this includes adequate grooming,time together and exercise.
kimberleythomas
Dogsey Junior
Female 

07-03-2013, 05:29 PM
1 is enough for me xx
Jen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-03-2013, 05:41 PM
I've always had the rule of one hand per dog in the house. I'm slightly breaking it right now as I have three dogs and live on my own but Scooby goes to my Dad's at weekends so the youngsters get to catch up then.

Having said that I know someone who has 6 dogs peacefully existing in their home. I once had four and they got on ok but they were all pretty ameanable dogs.

I think as long as the new dog has been picked sensibly to match those already existing in your home it doesn't matter how many as long as they are happy and fully cared for.
Florence
Almost a Veteran
Female 

07-03-2013, 05:50 PM
It depends on the dogs. When I had 3 dogs, they all had completely different temperaments and were different sizes. So I normally walked them seperately so they'd get enough attention (walked the two little ones together and then the big one alone). I had a house and a massive garden at that time so enough space. Also, I lived on the countryside. I'd never have that many dogs in the city (only getting the one now I live in a city).
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

07-03-2013, 06:44 PM
As long as you can afford to feed them well and cover vet bills without a second thought, I can't see much of an issue. My house is large and has been modified over the years to be exceedingly dog friendly. I'm at home so time is not an issue and we walk the dogs as a couple so walking them all together is not an issue. Although finding a car big enough to accommodate them all wasn't easy or cheap, I have 7 ranging from 7.5 kgs to 46 kgs.
Littlepony
Dogsey Junior
Female 

07-03-2013, 06:51 PM
Thanks everyone definatley food for thought!!

I have a tiny car (mini sized!). and somehow manage with 2 large dogs but I'm not sure if 3 would work!
I do take collie to work but leave gsd at home and would eventually like to leave all of them home alone once we move into our larger family home. I am currently stuck in a small home until next year until we can afford to buy so may be forced to wait until then! I would really love one now however but practical wise it may be better to wait!

I also would need to decide between a pup and rescue, a pup would definatley be more flexible but then again GSD rescue is always so busy every time I look!!
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-03-2013, 08:53 PM
We used to have 3 and I would have liked to have had a fourth but would never have been able to afford the vet bills. Down to two now but having recently had just one I know I can't have a singleton again so will hopefully build up to 3 again at some point.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >