Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Littlepony
Dogsey Junior
Female 

09-04-2011, 01:51 PM

Dog crate help

Sorry everyone sure you are sick of these questions...

I need 2 dog crates, one for a very large GSD (roughly 40kg, possibly more) and a collieX gsd which is smaller but large than your average collie.

What sizes would you normally go for? They seem to be in inches sizing. XL or L or giant? Its all pretty confusing?

Also, wheres the cheapest place to get dog crates from? Dont need to be great quality just for them to sleep in
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-04-2011, 02:05 PM
I got mine from ebay for £30. It's a collapsible metal one which makes it easier to transport and means if the army gives us a place with not much room we can just put it up as needed.

I went for the biggest I could find since I wasn't using it for house training purposes and the correct size crates seem really confining for an adult dog. 48x30x32 I think it is. Supposedly big enough for giant breeds and more than big enough for Rupert (he's roughly 24 inches at the shoulder and 35kgs) to stretch out comfortably if he wants.
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-04-2011, 02:18 PM
See if there's any secondhand ones locally on Ebay/Gumtree/etc., they're a bit awkward to post so often go cheap. I got one at Christmas for a foster dog for £1.50 and it had barely been used - this was a 42" one!
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-04-2011, 02:20 PM
Yea go for biggest you can get, we have one thats for Mastiffs & 3 Boxers coumd fit comfortably with room. Its massive. It was only got for one who, at the time had SA. invariably they all clamboured in at various times.
Littlepony
Dogsey Junior
Female 

09-04-2011, 02:24 PM
Thanks guys.

Found the doghealth website and am tempted by theirs, thinking of a 42" for the colliexgsd and a 46 for the gsd, does this sound about right?

Ive searched ebay and the adtrader and cant find any used ones

Would love to go really big but unfortunatley they need to fit in the staff room at work so cant go to OTT!!
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-04-2011, 02:34 PM
I got our big one off ebay. Look for the crates that are being "auctioned" rather than those "buy it now"
MerlinsMum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-04-2011, 03:04 PM
I have a saved search on Ebay and look regularly, I search for Dog crate, Used and set it to within 10 miles of where I live.

I don't drive but I've found sellers (if you ask) are often happy to deliver for petrol money if it's fairly local. provided you win of course - I have missed quite a few! But I have one being delivered this evening, I got it for £6.93 in the end but has a little bit of rust at the front (easily sorted with steel/wire wool).

It's a 42" which I think is the right size for either of my 2 dogs - when your dog is lying flat stretched out, get a tape measure and measure from nose to tail root for length, then shoulder to toe-tips and add 4-5 inches to get the right height. Height is something to be aware of - some crates can be the right length, but might be a bit short for some breeds.

If it's not being used as a permanent base, e.g. just for a few hours a day, or in the car, then you can go for something smaller. But if it's for the dog's main resting place especially at night, they do need to be able to completely lie flat-out.