Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Littlepony
Dogsey Junior
Female 

06-04-2011, 08:33 PM

Found a dog (fingers crossed)

So much for a puppy...

Got sent to a rescue with work and ended up falling in love with a 1year old black gsd cross. He got along with my dog fine and I am really concidering him, he has been in kennels 6 months!!
Before I make the decision tomorrow I have a few final
Questions, really don't want to make a mistake!

So I walked him with my dog and they played and walked together lovely. However every so often my
Older dog bared his teeth when playing and it all got a bit rough and sounded scary, even though there were no signs of fighting! Is this normal?
My older dog was being a little dominant, putting a paw on the younger one etc, will they decide amongst themselves eventually? Younger one will be crated when I'm
Not home so not too worried. Pup was stealing his toys etc and older one was indifferent to it all!

Finally, pup was a terrified in the car and wouldn't go anywhere near it! He also flinches and jumps a mile at any noises. Are these easy problems to overcome?
Oh yeah and he pulls very badly on the lead, is he too old to learn properly?

Tips greatly appreicated, I'm very nervous!!
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-04-2011, 08:38 PM
Well I think the little one sounds delightful....hope you make your mind up

I think the things you have said can be worked on all in time, but if you do take him/her.....best wishes and well done xxxxxxxxxxxx
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-04-2011, 08:40 PM
I wonder if you are confident enough to have two males together?

I thought you were looking for a bitch?

GSDs play very rough, this has to be controlled as it can tip over into fights.

Why not look for something a little less challenging?
Littlepony
Dogsey Junior
Female 

06-04-2011, 08:48 PM
Was originally looking for a bitch yes. No final decisions have been made so time to change mind yet

He is a castrated male and was very submissive and quiet in the kennel, this was the only reason I agreed to try him, that and the kennel lady is desperate for me to have him as she knows my dogs come to work so he will get lots of attention.

So far the dogs were fine together, for a first meeting. Just as I say played rough. He also has more energy than the older dog so my older one ended up saying enough is enough, so he snuck off and played with a ball instead.

Still undecided though!
Luthien
Dogsey Senior
Female 

06-04-2011, 08:54 PM
With rescue dogs come a lot of baggage, much of which you may not be aware of. Somin was dog aggressive and human aggresiive when we got him. Heflinched from a pat on the head. He was very fearful of loud noises...

After a year, he was cool with people, cool with other dogs, to anyone looking at him, he is fine. He will still run and hide if he hears a loud noise (smoke alarm, crackers, paarty poppers... he is a wow at parties!) Very loud noisesa, he will wee on the spot out of fear.

It makes me very sad that he can't trust me that much, but I know it isn't me, it is his life before

You need to be prepared to accept everything
Littlepony
Dogsey Junior
Female 

06-04-2011, 09:02 PM
Oh I understand that
He seems very friendly with people, got cuddles from everyone he met. He also loves other dogs just gets very excited but after the intial excitement he settles down. He also seems to love toys and is full of beans.
He has lived with other dogs in the past but that's all we know really, shame! He hasn't been rehomed as he is high energy and needs an outdoors home (which we have in-between my horses, OHS cycling and plenty of long walks!)
I did speak to a lady who fostered him who swears he is crate and house trained, but is only a year old and needs some obedience training and some time spent.

Most important factor was that old man dog liked him, and they seemed fine to the untrained eye!!