Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
LittleOscar
Dogsey Junior
Female 

12-10-2010, 12:58 PM

Puppy Walking

Woohoo!!! Seems I can now post a thread. Ok fairly new to dogsey. I have had dogs in the past which have been older dogs or bigger dogs and happy to walk for miles.(whippet crosses/gsd collie cross) I recently decided since being without a dog for many years that I would like to get a puppy. After lengthy discussions with my partner we chose Oscar a shih tzu.
Having read some articles on puppy walking we came across the 5 minute rule, 5 minutes of walking for every month of their life. Has anyone followed this? Is this a good procedure to follow??? When will he reach an age when he will need more walks? Longer walks etc. Any advice will be appreciated thanks.
Tessabelle
Almost a Veteran
Female 

12-10-2010, 02:04 PM
Hi! I was advised that it's not so bad in little dogs, more an issue for bigger dogs as their joints and bones are growing for a lot longer. Also, it depends whether you're talking onlead pavement walks or offlead on grass etc.
Hopefully a more experienced member will be along to advise you
LittleOscar
Dogsey Junior
Female 

12-10-2010, 02:11 PM
We live across the road from a lovely woodland area. Once inside the gate he is able to be off lead and investigate til his hearts content. He seems to enjoy 20 to 30 mins a day now. Yes I had heard that walking a pup could affect joints etc but I understood it to be all dogs, hopefully some other members may have more advice.
Also we had been doing a puppy training class, we move up a group next week so I may have a word with his trainer. Thank you anyway