View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Moon's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-08-2010, 11:48 AM
Cain's never been on a plane and given the size of him I'd probably never be able afford it that and he'd have a meltdown!

Moon came from Vietnam. I was working out there and just could leave him behind. He had to transit in Thailand. Check in was awful mainly because a fork lift truck swung him around till I shouted and he threw up!!! I cried so hard and felt sick until I knew he landed safely. Although I'm pisitve I was more stressed than he was. Also the problem was him flying out of Asia where they don't have the foggiest about animal welfare. he was only out of quarantine 8 months before I lost him to kidney failure, best dog ever. I miss him so much

Flying with a western airline from the UK to Canada I wouldn't be worried about, they have such strict regulations that I'm sure they will be handled impeccably

like me, you will probably find it more stressful that Keisha! In some ways the road trip may suit you better as you would know she was with you. Tough choice. Good luck whatever you decide! Good thing you've got Akitas, just the right coat for that climate!
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-08-2010, 11:08 PM
I wouldnt be happy to, but if I had to then I would. I would be a nervous wreck though...
akitagirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-08-2010, 08:23 AM
Has anyone ever flown their dog with Airpets?

http://www.airpets.com/

and also Animal Airlines

http://www.animalairlines.co.uk/

I've just emailed them both for quotes for big fat Keisha, I'll let you all know how much, I'm guessing £1000+
Insomnia
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-08-2010, 10:39 AM
I wouldn't let myself get on a plane, let alone my dog. I don't like the idea of them being stowed away like luggage and being treated as such.
I don't think it's fair that there isn't a secure area for all animals while flying, is it the same on boats?
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

08-08-2010, 10:50 AM
Originally Posted by akitagirl View Post

and also Animal Airlines

I've just emailed them both for quotes for big fat Keisha, I'll let you all know how much, I'm guessing £1000+
No, but i have a friend who exported a puppy to New Zealand, a few yrs ago, she went through one of these companies, (cant remember which one) and I think it cost the new owner around the £1000 mark.

The other way you can do it is (if you are transporting more than one or two dogs) is use a freight company, they sometime transport large animals (like horses) , this way you (one of the owners) can travel in the plane with the dogs.

Know someone who moved to New Zealand, and took 10 dogs they did it that way, hubby went with the dogs in the aircraft, and she went on a regular flight, the cost was far less than if the dogs where sent on a commercial flight
leadstaffs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-08-2010, 10:54 AM
I used one of them last year can't remember which one I will go have a look and let you know.

The one I used was very good.
Moon's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-08-2010, 12:40 PM
Originally Posted by akitagirl View Post

and also Animal Airlines

I arranged the flight myself but Moon stayed in their quarantine kennels outside Heathrow for 6 months and couldn't have been in better hands. Both the kennel staff and the office staff were fantastic, knowledgable and so friendly. Everything I had to do with them was very professional and I recommend them highly. I'm sure if they organised Keishas flight, she'd be in very safe hands
leadstaffs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-08-2010, 12:45 PM
It was Air pets I used and they were very professional. I would use them again if needed. Because they know the ropes and do it all the time they have a relationship with all the ground staff at the airports they use and the dogs don't need to get there as early as if we would take them
montysmum
Dogsey Senior
Female 

08-08-2010, 12:57 PM
I wont put mine in kennels so couldn't even think of them flying in the hold of a plane!
montysmum
Dogsey Senior
Female 

08-08-2010, 01:05 PM
Originally Posted by Tillymint View Post
oh no how awful - it's my one big worry about us moving to Spain & from what I've looked into I thought that the temperature control of the hold with live animals in was controlled by the pilot. They charge for the animal as "excess baggage" per kilo & they can only go on the plane with you if they will fit under your seat in their carrier - er I don't even think Tilly could bundle up that small so she would have to go in the special area in the hold. I ca't think any animal would be keen on that!
It's only a 2 hour flight & I'm not sure about staying with them until they are boarded. I've been thinking about it a lot (not that we are moving for a year or so) but I think I'll be more comfortable going in the car! It make take 2-3 days driving but at least she's be with us & we could stop whenever we like.
Well, the money you would have spent on air fare you could invest in a small caravanette (motorhome). That would be great for travelling in, would have plenty of room and you could just pull over and make yourself a cup of tea or have a nap whenever you wanted to!

Can you tell that is a dream of mine??
Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >